What's new

Unidentified connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

porkenstein

New Around Here
I am running Merlin lates firmware on my Asus RT-AC68U router which I have done for years but noticed today I have one connection to my router that I can't identify. It's "TIZEN-ODg6NTc6MUQ6MjE6RkY6N0EK". I have read it usually has to do with Samsung tv's. I have lots of stuff connected including lights etc but this is a mystery. I am guessing it's legit but want to be sure. Thanks, in advance.

I am running Merlin lates firmware on my Asus RT-AC68U router which I have done for years but noticed today I have one connection to my router that I can't identify. It's "TIZEN-ODg6NTc6MUQ6MjE6RkY6N0EK". I have read it usually has to do with Samsung tv's. I have lots of stuff connected including lights etc but this is a mystery. I am guessing it's legit but want to be sure. Thanks, in advance.
Could also be a Samsung watch... they run on Tizen.

Unfortunately don't have a Samsung watch and no one is close enough to my home to get on my wifi. Driving me nuts trying to figure it out. I just blocked the connection and will see if something quits working. :)

Unfortunately don't have a Samsung watch and no one is close enough to my home to get on my wifi. Driving me nuts trying to figure it out. I just blocked the connection and will see if something quits working. :)
Probably your best bet. Wait for the screams... ;)

Well I feel like a dumb butt. The one thing I didn't think about and yes it was a Samsung device. I have a Samsung Powerbot robot vacuum and that is what the unknown device was. :) At least I know now.

Well I feel like a dumb butt. The one thing I didn't think about and yes it was a Samsung device. I have a Samsung Powerbot robot vacuum and that is what the unknown device was. :) At least I know now.
You're lucky it at least gave you a hint with "Tizen"... I hate the ones that are just a bunch of jibberish... like wifi power sockets, they drive me crazy. lol

You'll really feel dumb when it kills you in your sleep and takes on your identity 😄

Sniff the packets it's sending out. "Human is sleeping now, should I make my move?" "Not yet young skywalker, the time is not right"

At least you don't have a Roomba - Amazon has all but admitted they will be using the mapping and camera to feed information on your house back to them in order to remind you when you're running low on something or suggest the right size rug for your space etc. But don't worry they protect your information with industry standard protocols. Of course with most of the industry suffering hacks and breaches, that sort of makes you wonder what the definition of "industry standard" is.

I've seen customers (top tier banks) encrypt at the application, layer 2, and layer 3 levels, triple encryption (and we're doing it for them so it is all well up to spec). Then they lay someone off and forget to shut off their access. Scary world out there.

At some point alexa and your roomba will team up to bust your balls when you bring home a less than desirable companion after a night of drinking. "Really Bob? It's come to that"?

Actually that would be kind of funny, I might buy them if they went that direction.

She starts randomly skipping music. "WTF Alexa". "That song sucks". Finally nerds will know what its like to have a girlfriend.

/tangent

Or you'll walk over you your Smart Fridge for a late night beer and a male voice will calmly say "I'm sorry, Bob. I can't let you do that."

I decided a long time ago that I will never have any samsung wifi products in my home. Their long history of causing wifi issues is well documented. :)

Yup we are probably coming to that in the near future. I am 72, always worked for a tech corporation but really miss the old days. I guess that's just part of getting old. :(

Yup we are probably coming to that in the near future. I am 72, always worked for a tech corporation but really miss the old days. I guess that's just part of getting old. :(
Definitely wise to "segment off" these smart home devices onto their own little network so there's no cross-pollination between these higher risk devices, and your trusted inner network. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!