What's new

RT-AC68U V3 Merlin Supported?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can this be used to (eventually) get RT-AC68U_384.17/18/19_0 on a V3 ?

No. Asus put in place the version check because earlier firmwares did not support the V3 hardware.

I don’t know but Another forum says its an ac1900p v3 but it dosnt looks like it works with merlin so i think its something different. Anyone can confirm?

I don’t know but Another forum says its an ac1900p v3 but it dosnt looks like it works with merlin so i think its something different. Anyone can confirm?

The latest beta 386 Beta 2 added support for V3.

I'm waiting on more info from Asus, in the mean time can you try this test build?

I suspect I just need to update the header signature to mark the firmware as compatible with this newer revision, so I just built it with a signature matching the GPL code used in it. Make sure you download a copy of the original firmware from Asus before testing this one out, just in case.

EDIT: That should do the trick, I disassembled the code responsible for the image check, and the RT-AC68U V3 has a minimal version requirement of 385_20490. My firmware was only faking a 385_20000 version.
Thank you very much! And a rapid response too!

But to add to my original question, I have bought anouther router (RT-AC86U) that serves as the master router in an AIMesh setup. Would it still make sense to test the new build on My RT-AC68U although it acts only as an AIMesh node? If so I would be happy to do it.

BR
Jon

Would it still make sense to test the new build on My RT-AC68U although it acts only as an AIMesh node?

Yes, the question is to whether the router will accept the firmware image or not.

Yes, the question is to whether the router will accept the firmware image or not.
And the simple answer is... Yes, works lika a charm without a hazzle! This time the RT-AC68U v3 router accepted the new firmware to be installed and it immediately worked after the update.

Thanks a ton!

I'm waiting on more info from Asus, in the mean time can you try this test build?

I suspect I just need to update the header signature to mark the firmware as compatible with this newer revision, so I just built it with a signature matching the GPL code used in it. Make sure you download a copy of the original firmware from Asus before testing this one out, just in case.

EDIT: That should do the trick, I disassembled the code responsible for the image check, and the RT-AC68U V3 has a minimal version requirement of 385_20490. My firmware was only faking a 385_20000 version.

Heya,

I tried and it worked!
1608022134859.png

Thank you for quick help! This is exactly the reason why I ditched my AC87U and went for 2 AC68U to continue using your firmware.
Keep up the great work.

If any issues occur, I will def. let you know.

Attachments

• 1608022061905.png
    1608022061905.png
    7 KB · Views: 98
Thanks for your help. Has anyone tried the latest beta on this new model?
And the simple answer is... Yes, works lika a charm without a hazzle! This time the RT-AC68U v3 router accepted the new firmware to be installed and it immediately worked after the update.

Thanks a ton!
Is it possible to see the specs of this router in merlin? What cpu this router has ^^

Can someone with the V3 model post the output of the following commands?

nvram get odmpid
nvram get model
nvram get productid
nvram get wps_modelnum
nvram get wps_device_name
nvram get boardrev
nvram get boardtype

Thanks!

Can someone with the V3 model post the output of the following commands?

nvram get odmpid
nvram get model
nvram get productid
nvram get wps_modelnum
nvram get wps_device_name
nvram get boardrev
nvram get boardtype

Thanks!

Here you go. This one is set as a Node so not sure if it should output more information.
Code:
joao@RT-AC68U-AE08:/tmp/home/root# nvram get model
RT-AC68U
joao@RT-AC68U-AE08:/tmp/home/root# nvram get productid
RT-AC68U
joao@RT-AC68U-AE08:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wps_modelnum
RT-AC68U
joao@RT-AC68U-AE08:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wps_device_name
RT-AC68U
joao@RT-AC68U-AE08:/tmp/home/root# nvram get boardrev
0x1103
joao@RT-AC68U-AE08:/tmp/home/root# nvram get boardtype
0x0646
joao@RT-AC68U-AE08:/tmp/home/root#

I know Asus has a shared/private.o function to detects if an RT-AC68U is a V3 model, in which case they check that you are running 385_20490 or newer. That probably means you need special support for that new revision, like the C0 revision did at the time. I don't know however if it's just for the logo (which used to be a controlable LED) or if there are other hardware-level changes.

It still shows as an RT-AC68U, which would be why there's no special odmpid for it. It's just a newer hardware revision.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!