What's new

RT-AC86 vs RT-AC2900

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

none

No difference that I can see. I did a side by side comparison at the Asus site. It gets pretty confusing.

I wish these companies just used router speed as the model numbers. e.g. (rt-ac2900 & rt-ac3100) and skip the strange numbering.

Since Asus has 2 different ac3100 routers, they could name them by speed & number of ethernet ports. i.e. ac-3100.4 & ac3100.8

On more than one occasion, I've read an article for the rt-ac68u or rt-ac66u instead of rt-ac86u and not noticing... marketing probably likes it like this.

Last edited:
I just bought RT-AC2900. Actually I was expecting a RT-AC86u but I think Asus now sends this model to my country. I already have another AC86u and they both exactly similar in tech specs and look. My question, is it possible to flash Merlin to this model because there is no file for this one.

I just bought RT-AC2900. Actually I was expecting a RT-AC86u but I think Asus now sends this model to my country. I already have another AC86u and they both exactly similar in tech specs and look. My question, is it possible to flash Merlin to this model because there is no file for this one.
Support has been added in the next release it looks like. You’ll use the 86U firmware.

They are the same with identical firmware, only different file-names not relevant at all.
You can compare them on your own if you dont believe me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!