1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC86 vs RT-AC2900

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by theParadox, Jan 14, 2018.

1. theParadox

theParadox New Around Here

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. VANT

VANT Very Senior Member

none

4. Mrwirez

Mrwirez Occasional Visitor

No difference that I can see. I did a side by side comparison at the Asus site. It gets pretty confusing.

I wish these companies just used router speed as the model numbers. e.g. (rt-ac2900 & rt-ac3100) and skip the strange numbering.

Since Asus has 2 different ac3100 routers, they could name them by speed & number of ethernet ports. i.e. ac-3100.4 & ac3100.8

On more than one occasion, I've read an article for the rt-ac68u or rt-ac66u instead of rt-ac86u and not noticing... marketing probably likes it like this.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  5. madfusker

madfusker Regular Contributor

AC2900 is cheaper on ebay... Hmmm.

6. Pierino

Pierino Very Senior Member

I just checked. Same exact price and listings.

7. Erdem

Erdem New Around Here

I just bought RT-AC2900. Actually I was expecting a RT-AC86u but I think Asus now sends this model to my country. I already have another AC86u and they both exactly similar in tech specs and look. My question, is it possible to flash Merlin to this model because there is no file for this one.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!