What's new

RT-AC86U 3.0.0.4.376.45_0 Constant DHCP Renewal

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bknusa

New Around Here
First Thank You Merlin for fixing everything you have fixed on my new Asus Router. I finally have stable and great Wi-Fi and LAN connectivity for my entire house. 22 Devices connected so far.

The logs show constant DHCP Request and Renewals for all devices. Not sure if its a TTL or lease time setting. Is there a way to set the DHCP lease time or control it? Seems like a lot of unnecessary processing and traffic. Both Wireless and Wired devices are requesting DHCP. Probably every 30 minutes. Its not a exact time.

Thank you.

Leases duration are configured under LAN -> DHCP Server.

Sometimes, a reboot of the client might be needed when they show odd behaviours in regard to their current lease.

Leases duration are configured under LAN -> DHCP Server.

Sometimes, a reboot of the client might be needed when they show odd behaviours in regard to their current lease.

I have exactly the same problem, wireless clients are requesting IP renewal every 2 minutes.

We have an ASUS RT-AC68U with Merlin Firmware:376.49_5 and my guest wireless lan is configured via init-start script.

Code:
interface=wl0.1
dhcp-range=wl0.1,192.168.2.1,192.168.2.100,255.255.255.0,14400s
dhcp-option=wl0.1,3,192.168.2.254
dhcp-option=wl0.1,6,8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4

The DHCP Scope has a 4 hours lease, so according to RFC 2131 (Page 40), the request for renewal should occur after 2 hours (half the time of the lease).

Times T1 and T2 are configurable by the server through options. T1
defaults to (0.5 * duration_of_lease). T2 defaults to (0.875 *
duration_of_lease). Times T1 and T2 SHOULD be chosen with some
random "fuzz" around a fixed value, to avoid synchronization of
client reacquisition.

My wireless clients on the guest SSID are mainly cell phones - Android, iOS and Windows - with all the "flavours" of OS version you can imagine... All with the same behaviour!

I've used WireShark to see the packet exchange between the client and server. The DHCP server is sending the client the accurate DHCP Options and the Lease Time of 14400s (4 hours).

Any ideas? :confused:

Pedro

PS: My wired client are not using ASUS Router as DHCP Server.

Attachments

• DHCPOFFER_Packet.png
    DHCPOFFER_Packet.png
    29 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
I can't put my finger on it either, but I also seem to have recurring dhcp req and ack actions from some clients. Can't confirm whether guest network specific or not. My 2.4G guest network, long lease already set.

Trying a couple of things: static dhcp and disable beamforming to see any effect....