What's new

RT-AC86U AiMesh - wifi printer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wic

New Around Here
I have 2 RT-AC86U for AiMesh. Whenever both my laptop and printer (HP7440) are connected to the same device thru wifi (e.g. both connected to AiMesh node) it works. When my laptop and printer are NOT on the same device (e.g. laptop connect to AiMesh client while printer connect to AiMesh node by wifi), printer not work. It shows my printer is offline but in fact it is online. How can I fix it? Can anyone help? Thanks.

I have 2 RT-AC86U for AiMesh. Whenever both my laptop and printer (HP7440) are connected to the same device thru wifi (e.g. both connected to AiMesh node) it works. When my laptop and printer are NOT on the same device (e.g. laptop connect to AiMesh client while printer connect to AiMesh node by wifi), printer not work. It shows my printer is offline but in fact it is online. How can I fix it? Can anyone help? Thanks.

A preliminary step would be to disable Airtime Fairness and Universal beamforming for each WiFi band.

Are you using the same SSID for each band?

Did you perform a factory default reset after installing the latest firmware?

When the laptop is not able to print, can you still ping the printer's IP address?

OE

Hi Ozar,

I have disable the Airtime Fairness and Universal beamforming for both WiFi band now.

I am using different SSID for each band.

Yes, i have performed a reset after installing the latest firmware.

When the laptop is not able to print, I can't ping to printer's IP address.

Regards,
Wic

Hi Ozar,

I have disable the Airtime Fairness and Universal beamforming for both WiFi band now.

I am using different SSID for each band.

Yes, i have performed a reset after installing the latest firmware.

When the laptop is not able to print, I can't ping to printer's IP address.

Regards,
Wic

Did the issue occur previously on earlier firmware or just on the latest firmware?

Can you ping other wireless clients across the same WLANs when you can't ping the printer?

Is the printer connected with only one network interface... 2.4n or 5.0n wireless?

Have you tried disabling its wireless and wiring it instead?

OE

Hi Ozark,

I have updated router with latest firmware before forming the AiMesh, so I have no idea about the earlier firmware.

Not just the printer, same issue with other wireless devices, can't ping across the WLANs.

The printer is on 2.4n only. My laptop is on 5.0n wireless.

After wiring the printer to one of the router, it works when I connect my laptop to another router wirelessly.

Regards,
Wic

When my laptop and printer are NOT on the same device (e.g. laptop connect to AiMesh client while printer connect to AiMesh node by wifi), printer not work. It shows my printer is offline but in fact it is online.

Reviewing this, I assume you mean, 'laptop connected to AiMesh router WiFi and printer connected to node WiFi'.

So, you can ping within the node 5.0 to 2.4, but you can not ping router 5.0 to node 2.4. And, you can ping router 5.0 to node wired.

I disabled Smart Connect here (but did not define separate SSIDs). I can ping router 5.0 to node 2.4 (a 2.4 only client). So, not able to reproduce your issue on a 2x86U AiMesh with firmware 45713.

If I enable 2.4 AP Isolated, then I can not ping router 5.0 to router/node 2.4. This is not quite your issue since you can ping within the node 5.0 to 2.4. Check that setting anyway!

But my test suggests the latest firmware is not the issue, since I can ping 'across the WLANs'... router 5.0 to node 2.4.

Since your pinging suggests the issue affects all wireless clients... the WLAN(s) and not just the printer, we could suspect the WLANs/hardware/firmware.

Assuming you have a simple router configuration and have not played around with 'advanced' routing settings, I'm inclined to suggest a re-installation in hopes that it clears the issue.

First, inspect your AiMesh to be sure both nodes are on the same firmware version... to be sure.

Then you could try removing the node from the AiMesh. This will reset it. Then without touching/moving it, search for it and add it back to the AiMesh. Then test.

Next, you could rebuild the entire AiMesh. Given the odd issue and the hope that it is a firmware 'glitch', I would be inclined to download and re-install the same firmware on both routers, followed by router webUI firmware Restore w/initialization on both routers before configuring the router and adding the node.

Or, you could assume the firmware install is solid, remove the node to reset it, webUI restore w/initialize the router, configure the router from scratch, and add the node. Then test.

Extra button resets never hurt... hold the reset button until the power LED begins to flash... about 5 secs. Then wait for the router LEDs to settle.

You've provided good answers... maybe someone here will offer more skilled insight to the potential issue.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!