What's new

RT-AC86U and DFS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ablatt

Regular Contributor
Why doesn't the North American version of the RT-AC86U (not RT-AC68U) support DFS channels if the FCC allows it now?

You'd think all recent routers with the capability to do so in the chipset would allow those channels to be selected in the firmware.

Is it because the FCC testing procedure is too onerous? The firmware becomes too complicated?

The 5GHz channel space is becoming too crowded so it would be a nice option to have.

Last edited:
Why doesn't the North American version of the RT-AC86U (not RT-AC68U) support DFS channels if the FCC allows it now?
What firmware are you using? Try using the stock Asus firmware. According to the FCC filings there was a permissive change filed in 2017 that added support for the DFS channels and Mesh support.

Even with permissive changes, I believe that the support of DFS channels still must be tested and results reported to the FCC (Permissive Change FAQ, question 2).

It entirely possible that only new model releases will pick up the changes or they will be phased in at ASUS's discretion.

I’m running Merlin, not stock for now.

But it seems people are resorting to buying Chinese versions of the RT-AC68U to get the DFS channels.

Not sure why Asus hasn’t made them available in North America.

Because it requires revalidating, which is an expensive process.

Anyway, why the rush to use DFS channels? These should only be used as a last resort, because whenever there's a radar being detected, you will be bumped off your channel, which can cause connection issues. The US, unlike EU, already has access to two UNI bands for the 5 GHz range.

Two UNI bands are not enough, especially in an apartment building. With most ISP routers defaulting to 80 MHz channel widths that leaves only two choices for 5GHz.

Also, how many people live near radar? If their router detects radar they can then use a UNI band.

And just a reminder.....the clients have to support the additional channels as well.

My EU Fritz supports 36-64 and 100-128 over a year, that are 4 complete 80MHz channels!
Never ever had a problem with devices, only when I tested 149-165 most clients cant connect here.

There has been enough time for Asus to adopt their devices.