What's new

RT-AC86U and RT-AC68U in Aimesh setup. ethernet backhaul not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

msalhab

Occasional Visitor
so i have an rt-ac86u running merlin 384.13 version and acting as aimesh router. also i have a rt-ac68u running on stock 300438445717, acting as an aimesh node. my problem is that although i set the aimesh config to ethernet, it is stuck on 5g connectivity. how can i troubleshoot this? is someone else having the same issue? for info i've tried to run the rt-ac68u on merlin 384.13. same issue.

upload_2019-8-10_17-0-27.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-10_17-0-0.png
    upload_2019-8-10_17-0-0.png
    242.5 KB · Views: 642
so i have an rt-ac86u running merlin 384.13 version and acting as aimesh router. also i have a rt-ac68u running on stock 300438445717, acting as an aimesh node. my problem is that although i set the aimesh config to ethernet, it is stuck on 5g connectivity. how can i troubleshoot this? is someone else having the same issue? for info i've tried to run the rt-ac68u on merlin 384.13. same issue.

View attachment 18960
To use that feature you need a ethernet backhaul. This means a cable connecting the two routers together. It appears you have a ethernet connection with the computer connected to the node, and not a cabled backhaul.

To use that feature you need a ethernet backhaul. This means a cable connecting the two routers together. It appears you have a ethernet connection with the computer connected to the node, and not a cabled backhaul.
I confirm I have an ethernet backhaul. I have this exact setup. Forgot to mention this info earlier
upload_2019-8-10_17-6-6.png

I confirm I have an ethernet backhaul. I have this exact setup. Forgot to mention this info earlier
View attachment 18961
Connect your backhaul cable to the computer and test. Your system isn't seeing the cable. Troubleshoot as a problem cable first. Next if that proves out ok, a complete system wide reset to defaults and hand configured back to stable (do not import any saved settings, use screenshots as backup). Sorry but a reset in this case makes sense.

Also make sure to have a fully reset AC68U to connect to. Don't configure it in any way. Then after a minimal setup (meaning IP and Internet access) add the node again.

Also make sure to have a fully reset AC68U to connect to. Don't configure it in any way. Then after a minimal setup (meaning IP and Internet access) add the node again.
the rt-ac68u has been reset multiple times. now should I try to reset the rt-ac86u, the main router?

the rt-ac68u has been reset multiple times. now should I try to reset the rt-ac86u, the main router?
Yes, then get the IP and network access up and running nothing more. Add the node in those conditions and see what happens.

Yes, then get the IP and network access up and running nothing more. Add the node in those conditions and see what happens.
Oh yeah sorry make sure your wifi is back up before adding the node. :oops::oops:

View attachment 18961

Remove the node to reset it, temporarily connect it with a trusted/shorter patch cable, add it back to the AiMesh, and set the Connection Priority to Ethernet. If that works, then maybe you need to debug the original Ethernet cabling.

OE

I had no problems with an ethernet backhaul, Merlin on main, stock on mesh unit. Worked(s) like a champ. Think maybe your cable needs to be checked. Set the two close together and connect with a short known good cable.

View attachment 18960
you need to make sure ethernet cable is connected to the lan port of parent router and then the wan port of the node, try that if it is not, lan to lan will cause it to keep bouncing from ethernet to wireless, also make sure you have an up to date (unmanaged as well) switch if there is one being runned between the two and make sure to first pair the node to the router within a couple of feet apart before trying to setup the node to at its final destination.

and make sure to first pair the node to the router within a couple of feet apart before trying to setup the node to at its final destination.

Side note... I've been able to add my 86U node in place at about 77' (edit: wireless backhaul only).

OE

Last edited:
Side note... I've been able to add my 86U node in place at about 77'.

OE
Yes that is correct, I have paired mine more than three rooms away with the ethernet cable connected without an issue. My suggestion would only eliminate surface interferences because there is a point of no return even with ethernet cable.