What's new

RT-AC86U - apparently need a start-up delay on power up

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oldserverguy

Occasional Visitor
Have a RT-AC86U running 384.11 (will do 384.12 as soon as everything else is stabilized). With a Verizon DSL modem when we had one of the many power outages here in SW Florida that would eventually drain the UPS after power was restored everything would come back up without a problem. Moved to Comcast cable two days ago a using an ARRIS SBG6950AC2 Surfboard modem to replace the Verizon DSL modem. Now when power is applied to both the Arris and the AC86U at the same time I get the "dreaded" red LED. I didn't wait overnight (wife pressure) but I have gone more than 10 minutes in testing. The AC86U runs a VPN for the low IP range and straight out for the highest IPs that have devices that need location services streaming TV.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Have a RT-AC86U running 384.11 (will do 384.12 as soon as everything else is stabilized). With a Verizon DSL modem when we had one of the many power outages here in SW Florida that would eventually drain the UPS after power was restored everything would come back up without a problem. Moved to Comcast cable two days ago a using an ARRIS SBG6950AC2 Surfboard modem to replace the Verizon DSL modem. Now when power is applied to both the Arris and the AC86U at the same time I get the "dreaded" red LED. I didn't wait overnight (wife pressure) but I have gone more than 10 minutes in testing. The AC86U runs a VPN for the low IP range and straight out for the highest IPs that have devices that need location services streaming TV.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I use a remote power IP switch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LLVQ9OI/?tag=snbforums-20

It is setup so 9 seconds after the power is restored my modem is powered up from outlet 1. Then 90 seconds after the power is restored the router plugged into outlet 2 is powered up. Not a cheap solution but when I traveling it is nice to know my IoT devices will have their Internet connection restored so they can communicate with me if they detect any abnormalities while I'm away.

The device also has other useful features.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I have several thoughts and questions, but first it will help if you answer Val D. question?

What is the system log saying? Why is the WAN light red?

I will extend this question to be more specific, can you obtain logs from the Modem as well as the router? (specifically around the same time points this instance occurs)
Sometimes the issue is with Comcast and the modem.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Updated to 384.12. My customer owned Arris takes about 2 1/4 minutes to boot. The WAN LED is red at first but after only about 5 minutes it now turns to white and I can surf the net. One interesting finding - even when it was red I could ping 8.8.8.8 but a web browser was a no go. Have more equipment wiring changes to make tomorrow after I buy some electrical parts so I'll get another chance but I think the update fixed the problem.

Updated to 384.12. My customer owned Arris takes about 2 1/4 minutes to boot. The WAN LED is red at first but after only about 5 minutes it now turns to white and I can surf the net. One interesting finding - even when it was red I could ping 8.8.8.8 but a web browser was a no go. Have more equipment wiring changes to make tomorrow after I buy some electrical parts so I'll get another chance but I think the update fixed the problem.
So it's probably DNS and/or time sync problem.

You can sometimes get a race condition in the startup at boot time with conflicting services. One as of late has been the time sync and dns ability early in the boot up. You can resolve the time sync by adding something like:
Code:
server=/pool.ntp.org/1.1.1.1
to dnsmasq.conf.add. Found in /jffs/configs/ This often will clear things up as the system can time sync and therefore start using services like DoT etc. making it possible for your browser to resolve addresses.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!