What's new

RT-AC86U - can I upload the router settings via command line, from a USB drive?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Happy_Yam

New Around Here
Hello everyone,
on an Asus Merlin router (I have RT-AC86U), is it possible to upload a saved file of router settings via command line, logged into the router via ssh? (You ordinarily do this at the Admin menu - Restore/Save/Upload settings). I would probably have to use a USB drive plugged into the router also (?)
Thank you

Hello everyone,
on an Asus Merlin router (I have RT-AC86U), is it possible to upload a saved file of router settings via command line, logged into the router via ssh? (You ordinarily do this at the Admin menu - Restore/Save/Upload settings). I would probably have to use a USB drive plugged into the router also (?)
Thank you
Pardon me for interluding, but I'm curious how you feel about this model. In a thread I posted a week or two ago, I was seeking feedback on it and one member claimed he'd bought 3 and they all of them failed within a year. I haven't seen anyone else state this and I'm not ready to lay out the big $$ for the RT-AX86U yet. Thanks

Pardon me for interluding, but I'm curious how you feel about this model. In a thread I posted a week or two ago, I was seeking feedback on it and one member claimed he'd bought 3 and they all of them failed within a year. I haven't seen anyone else state this and I'm not ready to lay out the big $$ for the RT-AX86U yet. Thanks

Personally I don't own one, but I do know this model is notorious for its poor thermal design. I suppose it's possible some later releases may have addressed it, but in general, I would still avoid it. Heck, just consider what was posted today.

That's the kind of nonsense you may be getting yourself into w/ this router.

There have been all kinds of other issues too, like certain operations failing for unexplained reasons (e.g., nvram bug).

Again, on the whole, I just think you're asking for trouble. Paying more for the AX86U may be worth it just to avoid these hassles.

I've had good success and reliability with this router, FWIW.
And thanks for the information.
Bear in mind that doing an nvram restore may not restore all of the router's settings. To do a complete and consistent restore you need a matching backup of the jffs partition that was made at the same time. You would first restore the nvram file and then after the reboot restore the jffs partition, followed by another reboot. Of course this also means that any changes you made to jffs custom scripts and configs would also be reverted to that point in time.

Last edited:
My experience with the AC86 for the last two years has been excellent, but I've also had a fan on it.

I've swapped in an AX88 now in preparation for using the AC86 to replace an AC56 so I can run wireguard. At the price I paid for the AX88 ($190) it is a huge step up from the AC86 for not much more money.

Interesting comments for sure. What's interesting is that nearly every major tech reviewer gives it 4-5 stars claiming the ONLY shortcoming is the 2.4 gHz band

Interesting comments for sure. What's interesting is that nearly every major tech reviewer gives it 4-5 stars claiming the ONLY shortcoming is the 2.4 gHz band

Tech reviewers are typically NOT evaluating products over the long run in terms of stability and reliability. That's beyond what's practical for them. They're just looking at features and comparing bullet points, w/ some unit testing to verify these features work as advertised and to determine how they compare to other products. None of that is going to tell you how a router will stand up over time. And that's the issue here. The RT-AC86U has a history of problems that have become manifest over time.

That's precisely why I don't use the most current products when it comes to routers. I typically wait until a router has proven itself for at least 2-3 years. It's why I'm still using the RT-AC68U! It has proven itself to be absolutely bulletproof. But that takes time to establish.

I've been using my RT-AC86u for over 2 years. It's been running along great. I've got the custom aftermarket fans mounted on the back to keep it cool.

Only issue I see are future updates. I'm currently running WG Session Manager, but hoping it gets a firmware version with native GUI interface support.

I've used it as the main router with other Asus routers in Mesh mode. Then I finally switched to separate AP's for better control. I'm going to use it until it does not do what I need it to do (it'll probably die before this).

Also almost bought another to keep as backup. It costs about $80 (that includes taxes and shipping) where I am.

I haven't seen anyone else state this

Perhaps because you don't read SNB Forums regularly. Many forum members have lost one or more AC86U routers. When it works - it works very well. The main issue - it may die instantly.

Perhaps because you don't read SNB Forums regularly. Many forum members have lost one or more AC86U routers. When it works - it works very well. The main issue - it may die instantly.

Thanks...definitely see the logic..my AC68P is rock solid too

The main issue - it may die instantly.

Or worse... take awhile and cause weird stuff to happen that you'll never solve. :)

OE

Or worse... take awhile and cause weird stuff to happen that you'll never solve. :)

OE
I've definitely decided against getting the AC86U. But according to research, the AX86U was released a few months ago so there's no real way of knowing if the design flaw from the AC version has been resolved is there :)

I've definitely decided against getting the AC86U. But according to research, the AX86U was released a few months ago so there's no real way of knowing if the design flaw from the AC version has been resolved is there :)
I bought my RT-AX86U over a year ago and it wasn't exactly a "new model" then.

My biggest pet peeve with the AC86U is how it hangs my scripts with simple "NVRAM GET" statements. :( Luckily, there's a workaround, but still...

The RT-AX86U is not a few months old. I've been running two of them in AiMesh mode for almost two years now (November).

The RT-AX86U is not a few months old. I've been running two of them in AiMesh mode for almost two years now (November).
OK..my bad..I looked up reviews and saw the current ones..Glad to hear its proven more reliable than its AC version. Thanks folks..much appreciated!

Your router research should include reviewing its firmware history, which goes back to Nov 2020 for the AX86U... and can go back further than is still posted online. RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) (asus.com)

BTW, notice the list of routers at the bottom of this page (an unfinished ASUSWRT website) that support ASUSWRT 2022 (an unfinished 388 firmware). ASUSWRT 2022 - ASUS-Wireless (asuscomm.com)

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!