What's new

RT-AC86U hit the FCC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Have had mine up for 2 days now, no issues with wireless. Flashed the 3.0.0.4_382_16466 right after getting them installed. The 2 upstairs computers had shown 1.2Gig as the speed in the Windows status with the AC68U, went to 1.6Gig connecting to the AC86U set as access point. Where the access point is located (on top of a bookcase in my office downstairs) is about in the middle of the distance between those 2 upstairs. Draw a 45 degree line up to each and it's about 8-10 feet of distance from access point to each computer.

Every wireless device connected ( 3 computers, PS3, 3 cell phones, iPad2 , Android tablet, 3 4K smart TVs) all show max signal strength over both floors (house is a small cape, about 1700 sq ft total). So far very impressed with the AC86Us I got.

Sam

Hmmm.... Intresting. Do you have all Adaptive QoS and AiProtection enabled?
Mine is now flashed with new beta with AiMesh functionality. Haven't tested wireless stability yet, but definitely will be watching for that.
Maybe some trash in NVRAM.
RMerlin Dou you know how to clean NVRAM on AC86. Is it worth a try? How can I flash new firmware "clean way"?

Last edited:
RMerlin Dou you know how to clean NVRAM on AC86.

Same way as other models, either hold the reset button 5 secs, or use the button on the Settings backup/restore page.

Same way as other models, either hold the reset button 5 secs, or use the button on the Settings backup/restore page.
Was thinking about some kind of sacred 30-30-30 procedure. Tried resetting router multiple times on latest software wireless issue still persist. What is interesting all my devices can connect to wireless at 2.4 and 5Ghz and access to webUI of AC86, but no internet connection. So I am pretty sure that it's a software issue. Now I am on BETA with AiMesh functionality. Testing...

Don't know if it's already being asked of written somewhere, but is it's worthful updating to new Ac86u. Have now the Ac88u from the start when it was out. Using functions like VPN and connected it to my nas 216+ synology

Will I see a benefit of upgrading to this from an AC68U?

and does this router have Smart Connect?

Last edited:
Will I see a benefit of upgrading to this from an AC68U?

and does this router have Smart Connect?

Yes it has smart connect. But whether you'll see a benefit over the AC68u is entirely based on what you need or do with your router.

Don't know if it's already being asked of written somewhere, but is it's worthful updating to new Ac86u. Have now the Ac88u from the start when it was out. Using functions like VPN and connected it to my nas 216+ synology

I've never used an AC88u, but based on the below chart, i can't imagine you'd see a significant difference to justify the upgrade. You'd also lose 4 LAN ports.

upload_2017-9-24_9-40-46-png.10542

What is the average cpu and radio temperature on this unit? I know the normal temp of about 85 to 90 on the ac68u is considered normal but curious anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea, there's no public API to retrieve the CPU temperature.

Does this router support DFS channels in the U.S.?

I don't see the word 'DFS' mentioned at all in the manual.

Last edited:
Does this router support DFS channels in the U.S.?

I don't see the word 'DFS' mentioned at all in the manual.
No. DFS frequencies are not mentioned in the FCC documents at this time. https://fccid.io/MSQ-RTACHN00

Asus typically does not support DFS in their devices. If you search the FCC database for grantee code MSQ with a Frequency Range of 5250-5320 (uncheck Exact Match) with Product Description of "router" you'll see only two Asus routers (ASUS RT-AC3200, ASUS GT-AC9600) with DFS support. Alternatively, here's a list of Asus devices flagged as having DFS support in the WikiDevi database.

The ASUS RT-AC65U also supports DFS but it is registered under the manufacturer's (Edimax) FCC grantee code.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!