What's new

RT-AC86U hit the FCC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Here how it looks like. I am on latest beta build with AiMesh functionality
Hello,

which firmware are you using correctly? I bought my AC86U in germany and the region dropdown is completely missing with firmware 3.0.0.4.382.16466

Probably only the chinese model got that dropdown.

Hello,

which firmware are you using correctly? I bought my AC86U in germany and the region dropdown is completely missing with firmware 3.0.0.4.382.16466

Probably only the chinese model got that dropdown.

yes it's the Chinese model thats got that

Last edited by a moderator:
now I have a question for any1 that can answer correctly;

I will be receiving the Chinese model in the mail soon, now would I, can I load the firmware from Asus's usa site?

not sure I'll need to wait for my order to get here from china to test. I just ordered it on Oct 2nd, item tracking status says it's now packed and ready to ship by DHL

not sure I'll need to wait for my order to get here from china to test. I just ordered it on Oct 2nd, item tracking status says it's now packed and ready to ship by DHL
It would be really nice if you could test if the "region dropdown" is available with the latest Asuswrt Merlin.

Test builds are available here (all credits go to merlin): https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bj94sbhrh7e49/Test_Builds

Since it's not possible to adjust the TX power anymore, does changing the region automatically adjust the transmit power?
EU would work with 20 dBm (100 mW) and US with 23 dBm (200 mW), is that possible?

It would be really nice if you could test if the "region dropdown" is available with the latest Asuswrt Merlin.

Test builds are available here (all credits go to merlin): https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bj94sbhrh7e49/Test_Builds

Since it's not possible to adjust the TX power anymore, does changing the region automatically adjust the transmit power?
EU would work with 20 dBm (100 mW) and US with 23 dBm (200 mW), is that possible?

+1 would like to know

It's not a question of firmware, it's a question of region. The firmware will only display the dropdown for some models within some specific regions. For instance, the region selector will not appear for routers set for the US region.

The behaviour of my firmware is 100% identical to that of the stock firmware there.

It's not a question of firmware, it's a question of region. The firmware will only display the dropdown for some models within some specific regions. For instance, the region selector will not appear for routers set for the US region.

The behaviour of my firmware is 100% identical to that of the stock firmware there.
Thanks merlin.
Can you tell us if changing the region affects the used transmit power?

I'm really sad, that Asus patched out the possibility to adjust TX power. It was great for an environment with multiple access points.

Random question here but has Asus updated or changed in any way their download master implementation?

Still uses an obsolete version of Transmission?

Thanks

Here's how I'm going to avoid my congested neighborhood;

Made an account with GearBest to order the Chinese hardware version here -> https://www.gearbest.com/wireless-routers/pp_662065.html they are having a "Flash Sale" right now, I paid $186.99USD shipped to Canada :)

Used DHL for shipping and had the invoice price set @ $25.00USD to avoid customs/duty.
Received the router within 3 days -> http://www.dhl.com/en/express/tracking.html?AWB=8008466502&brand=DHL

Setting language to English and the region to Europe and here's what it gives me;

2.4G gives me the extra 12 and 13 channels

5G gives me the extra 52 to 140 channels

FW that was loaded out of the box

Merlin's FW

As Merlin mentioned it's doesn't matter what FW is loaded it'll still have the region select drop down menu, that is as long as Asus doesn't change this in the boot loader.
Once I have a solid work FW with everything running smooth I won't be flashing new FW. Why change whats working! So in the future if Asus does change the boot loader it won't effect me.

As for warranty; as long as best-buy selling the same product I'll still have warranty, it's a greasy move but too bad!!! then make a product that last like it should.

FYI: Power plug is the same as USA / Canada

Combined with this above router I may get this to block my neighbors - https://www.jammer-store.com/spec5-5ghz-wifi-jammer.html#

TEST_2G and TEST_5G

too bad I couldn't get anymore separation on the 2.4G side. I could put it to 20Mhz

There are more 5G in the area, just behide each other on the inSSIDer screenshot, but heck look at my TEST_5G all by it's self lol

As Merlin mentioned it's doesn't matter what FW is loaded it'll still have the region select drop down menu, that is as long as Asus doesn't change this in the boot loader.

So you have it set to english how does that give you the extra channels ? How did you change the region ?

So you have it set to english how does that give you the extra channels ? How did you change the region ?

English is set so I can read it, then I set the region to get the diff channels. Region menu is already there on these routers vs the USA/Canada ones.

I only posted the above to answer ppls questions and well alittle bit of gloating to boot ;p I may bust my neighbors balls too a bit when I see him as his router would mimic mine, now it can't lol

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!