What's new

RT-AC86U hit the FCC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No. DFS frequencies are not mentioned in the FCC documents at this time. https://fccid.io/MSQ-RTACHN00

Asus typically does not support DFS in their devices. If you search the FCC database for grantee code MSQ with a Frequency Range of 5250-5320 (uncheck Exact Match) with Product Description of "router" you'll see only two Asus routers (ASUS RT-AC3200, ASUS GT-AC9600) with DFS support. Alternatively, here's a list of Asus devices flagged as having DFS support in the WikiDevi database.

The ASUS RT-AC65U also supports DFS but it is registered under the manufacturer's (Edimax) FCC grantee code.
Certain Asus routers DO support DFS, e.g. the RT-AC68U and RT-N66U. I am not sure since what firmware version.
From my European RT-AC68U system log:
Code:
Sep 28 00:17:26 kernel: SKIPPED false Type 4 Radar Detection. min_pw=51 pw_delta=0 pri=5760 fm_min=1030 fm_max=0 nconsecq_pulses=3. Time from last detection = 710158, = 11835min 58sec. Detected pulse index: 16
upload_2017-9-28_17-17-21.png

where could one order a European RT-AC68U router? that way I could use the empty channels that no one else has here :)

Amazon DE seems to sell it: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07595BZJV/

I'm not sure whether there's such thing as a "European" model.

Is this model good enough for the entire EU, or do we need country specific models?

Note that it says, "This item does not ship to the United States." on the page since such a product is not allowed in the United States due to FCC regulations.

Here's a discussion of DFS on ASUS routers which seems to suggest that the supported channels vary even between GB, EU, and DE regions. I didn't read the whole thread but I'm pretty sure that the latest Asuswrt-Merlin firmware no longer allows changing the region to enable additional channels.

there must be a way one could order this. Would be nice to be the only one in my street to be using those channels :)
The devices would still connected right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that it says, "This item does not ship to the United States." on the page since such a product is not allowed in the United States due to FCC regulations.

Here's a discussion of DFS on ASUS routers which seems to suggest that the supported channels vary even between GB, EU, and DE regions. I didn't read the whole thread but I'm pretty sure that the latest Asuswrt-Merlin firmware no longer allows changing the region to enable additional channels.
The DFS on ASUS discussion you refer to is rather old (up to September 2014) and probably outdated.
I noticed November 2014 with RT-N66U firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.3602 that my RT-N66U suddenly showed DFS channels, before only 4 channels.

Can anyone answer this at all.
I am in the uk and just bought this router for gearbest. I’m an now a little concerned it will be locked to China region and may not work correctly in the uk.

Last edited:
Did you one from gearbest work ok?

I’m
In uk
I got mine from Gearbest. It's Chinese version, but you can easily change region in Wireless professional tab and language from any place in UI. Only problem at the moment is unstable Wireless. I've sent logs to Asus and waiting for new firmware that will(hopefully) fix that.

Here how it looks like. I am on latest beta build with AiMesh functionality

would this be the one that will let me select all the wireless channels? -> https://www.gearbest.com/wireless-routers/pp_662065.html

Edit;

crap it says can not ship to canada, I could just ship it to someones address then pay them to ship it to me

Second Edit;

seems like it will let me order one anyways lol made an account and I can select international shipping

Last edited by a moderator:
Buying a router with the wrong region is a bad idea. The bootloader will be set to the Chinese region. If Asus ever decided to remove region changing support from the webui (as they've done in the past for the US region), you will end up with a router with half of the channels unusable.

Warranty will also not be available, as regions usually refuse to provide RMAs for devices bought in a different region.

I have ordered one just to try, worse case is, as long as bestbuy still sale this I have warranty. hehehe ;P

they call me the "return king"

I just want to be able to use the channels that no other house close by will be using.

How does Asus define those regions?

Is Europe a region, or should I even check for specific countries within it?

I think there was away we could set to a region but asus caught on and closed it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!