RT-AC86U with MerlinASUSWRT 386.1_2 crashing when adding HP WIFI printer

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

PT25

New Around Here
Hi all,

I'm trying to learn the basics of router and firmware configs, I've been watching this forum intently and you are all great mentors :) I've come across my first issues that I cannot figure out and thought it was time to join and ask for help. I have successfully put Merlin's 386.1_2 on my RT-AC86U and it runs fine until I start adding devices, it then crashes and goes in to an endless boot loop cycle. Through the process of elimination I have discovered that it is a HP Envy 4520 WIFI printer that is causing it to crash. When all other devices are connected there is no issues, however as soon as I connect the HP Printer the router crashes and the boot loop cycle starts. If I reset the printer/turn if off the router boots up fine. This has blown my mind a some as I am out of my depth with this one.

To add some detail, I followed the excellent guides on performing a Nuclear reset on the router and then doing the M&M config as part of going from stock to Merlin. I also have two DSL-AC68U routers running the latest GNuton firmware in AiMesh set up and it all works perfectly until I add this printer. This issue still happens with no AiMesh setup, so I think I have ruled that out. I never had this happen before with stock firmware.

I've attached one of the crash logs from when it happens, none of it really makes sense to me, but I would love to understand if there is something really sinister going on.

Attachments

• Crash Log.txt
    68.4 KB · Views: 39

heysoundude

Very Senior Member
there's no ethernet port on the printer? why not use it if there is one?
your router/mesh and neighbours will thank you for clearing up the local airwaves once you do and turn the printer's wireless off. It'll also put your printer behind whatever network protections you're running and close off a potential wireless security hole into your home network.
doesn't answer your question, I know...but in a way it does. (wifi/networking problem? not anymore - not with signal passing through good ol' copper!)
I have an HP officejet (2nd one, actually), and all the problems I had cleared up for me with one simple cable. YMMV.

PT25

New Around Here
there's no ethernet port on the printer? why not use it if there is one?
your router/mesh and neighbours will thank you for clearing up the local airwaves once you do and turn the printer's wireless off. It'll also put your printer behind whatever network protections you're running and close off a potential wireless security hole into your home network.
doesn't answer your question, I know...but in a way it does. (wifi/networking problem? not anymore - not with signal passing through good ol' copper!)
I have an HP officejet (2nd one, actually), and all the problems I had cleared up for me with one simple cable. YMMV.
Thanks for your suggestion :) Unfortunately my printer doesn't have an ethernet port, but even if it did it isn't anywhere close to a LAN connection. Thats why I went for a WIFI printer. Thanks though

skeal

Part of the Furniture
Thanks for your suggestion :) Unfortunately my printer doesn't have an ethernet port, but even if it did it isn't anywhere close to a LAN connection. Thats why I went for a WIFI printer. Thanks though
Is it 2.4 or 5G and does it have any hard coded ip addressing already set in it? Can you reset the printer to defaults?

skeal

Part of the Furniture
Have you tried connecting the printer via WPS?

PT25

New Around Here
To answer all the above, I have reset the printer to factory defaults for both normal settings and network settings several times and it still causes the issue. It is always set as DHCP as I set the static IP in the router. WIFI Direct has always been disabled as I have no need for it. I believe the printer only connects on 2.4

Thanks,

skeal

Part of the Furniture
Try connecting your printer to a hotspot on your phone or something like that and see if it crashes the phone. Have you tried connecting the printer as a single device, nothing else connected, does it still crash? It sounds like a hard conflict for the router, something the printer passes the router messes it up. I think it's a printer issue.

skeal

Part of the Furniture
To answer all the above, I have reset the printer to factory defaults for both normal settings and network settings several times and it still causes the issue. It is always set as DHCP as I set the static IP in the router. WIFI Direct has always been disabled as I have no need for it. I believe the printer only connects on 2.4

Thanks,
WiFi direct may be enabled by default, when resetting the router to defaults you would have had to turn WiFi direct off again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!