What's new

RT-AC87U/R: Cooling solutions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Initially 5GHz/CPU were both operating at around 60 to 70 degrees celsius. On a hot day, it can go as high as 80+.
So i ripped apart a $5 laptop cooler and took out the USB powered dual 40mm fans, cut out 2 holes on the top cover and stuck the pair of fans over them using blutac, blowing air directly onto the heat sink. Now they're running at around 50 degrees celsius or lower.
AC87U cooling.png

What is the max operating temp of the RT-AC87U? Mine ran hot out of the box so I flipped the entire thing upside down and swiveled the antennae 180degrees which seemed to help a bit. Currently running at 45 °C - 58 °C - 73 °C (1200/800).

What is the max operating temp of the RT-AC87U? Mine ran hot out of the box so I flipped the entire thing upside down and swiveled the antennae 180degrees which seemed to help a bit. Currently running at 45 °C - 58 °C - 73 °C (1200/800).

I think I remember seeing someone say they are designed for 100 or 120C. Obviously these run hot, your temps are very normal. I wasn't comfortable so I added cooling to mine like others have (my setup is somewhere in this thread). Right now I'm at 41C - 38C - 53C, so I'm pretty happy with the results.

My 87U would only go two days max before locking up and needing a reboot. I put $4 laptop cooler under it and went 18 days until the cleaners moved it. just flashed Merlin's newest so I'm at 3 days now. CPU temp vacillates between 68 and 70 C. I've noticed if it stays at 70 it tends to lock up. was running about 78 before. After seeing some of the rigs here I think I'll look for a more powerful fan to see if I can drop it more. As someone pointed out, the CPU can stand the heat but surrounding components, maybe not.

The Broadcom CPU should have a supported temperature beyond 100C. However, the Quantenna SoC tends to become unstable around 90C.

I use these on my TR-AC87U. I have it sitting on top of the two fans with the air blow up into it. Mine always runs at these temps in an 70F house.

aPSJP0r.png

http://www.acinfinity.com/component-usb-fans/multifan-s5-quiet-usb-cooling-fan-dual-80mm/

They come with rubber feet for the top and bottom so things aren't sliding around and rattling. They work off USB into the router, or like I have it use a cell phone charger to power them. Very quiet. 67,000 hours of runtime they are rated for and very solid construction.

Can't beat it for the price in my opinion.

The Broadcom CPU should have a supported temperature beyond 100C. However, the Quantenna SoC tends to become unstable around 90C.
Thanks, was just concerned due to the OC. Flipping the unit over has resulted in better temps (the case is also now noticeably cool to touch) and since I'm well within thermal tolerances and having no stability issues I'm not going to bother with active cooling solutions.

These are my temps.. No overclock, router is over 4 supports..

2.4 GHz: 47°C - 5 GHz: 56°C - CPU: 90°C

90'C .. dangerous?

These are my temps.. No overclock, router is over 4 supports..

2.4 GHz: 47°C - 5 GHz: 56°C - CPU: 90°C

90'C .. dangerous?

Abnormally high, especially since the two other temperatures are even lower than the average. I suspect your heatsink might not be properly seated on the CPU.

Abnormally high, especially since the two other temperatures are even lower than the average. I suspect your heatsink might not be properly seated on the CPU.

Thanks Merlin.
In the room the temperature is around 27'C... do you think it's better open the AC87U and check the heatsink?

Thanks Merlin.
In the room the temperature is around 27'C... do you think it's better open the AC87U and check the heatsink?
Only if you feel comfortable with that kind of tinkering.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Only if you feel comfortable with that kind of tinkering.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

OK I've just opened my 87U.
The main cpu heatskin was very hot!! More than the others two. But I think it's ok...
Now with 28'c room temperature and a ac87u "cabrio" (without the upper cover) temperature are:
2.4 GHz: 42°C - 5 GHz: 46°C - CPU: 75°C

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 805
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 765
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 754
CPU temps were in the low 80s for both my 87R's...
Plugged in a Notepal X-Slim to my 87R and it killed the router. Will not even power on now, even tried using the power supply from my second 87R and it will not power on. The cooler works fine still on an actual laptop.
I see others have used the same cooler on their 87U/R, so I'm at a loss as to why it killed mine.
Not going to risk it on my second 87R, so back to square one on finding a cooler that will work when plugged in to it's USB 2.0 port.

RMA is no longer an option due to how long it's been since it was purchased. Going to have to crack it open and pull out the multimeter....
Also going to check the draw on the x-slim cooler's fan to see if it's pulling more than it should.

Also going to check the draw on the x-slim cooler's fan to see if it's pulling more than it should.

This is surprising, since Asus even put it as a marketing point to mention that the RT-AC87U's USB ports were able to provide a bit more current than other implementations, to better support bus-powered HDDs. Unless there's was a short of some sort.

Inspired by this post decided to buy Cooler Master NOTEPAL X-SLIM II
20161206_005518.jpg

Temperatures before:
2.4 GHz: 49°C - 5 GHz: 50°C - CPU: 70°
Temperatures now:
2.4 GHz: 44°C - 5 GHz: 45°C - CPU: 53°C

for my ASUS RT-AC87U the temperatures after installing Cooler Master Notepal X-Lite II (no hub)
2.4 GHz: 42°C - 5 GHz: 52°C - CPU: 69°C

is it normal? Shouldn't be lower?

Im using Merlin's 380.66_4 and my temperatures are abnormally high. No one is connected to 5 Ghz.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 21.30.56.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 21.30.56.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 516
The only abnormal temperature is the 5GHZ, 2.4GHZ and CPU are fine.

it's RT-AC3100 here, but you know what this is king of ghetto.

Just the router resting on fan itself and leaning on the 6tb HDD with some support from coasters.

eXC9AkM.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!