What's new

Rt-ax58u random reset

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spektr

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I would like to ask if somebody has similar problem. My router randomly reboots, all wired and wireless connections goes off.

I didn't figure it out, however I did make a screenshot of log.

Any idea?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221113-112145_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221113-112145_Chrome.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 125
That screenshot doesn't show us anything useful as it was taken after the event. Save the complete syslog and post it here, or on pastebin.com and provide a link to it.

Here is the file. Time was 11:19 when this happened.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    415.8 KB · Views: 55
Thanks. Unfortunately the log doesn't tell us much that you didn't already know. The router rebooted because the wdtctl process crashed. There are no other messages to indicate why it crashed. This is a closed source Broadcom module for Watchdog Timer support.

The other reboots in the log appear to be caused by you physically removing the power to the router. In particular you seem to be doing this automatically at about 06:25 each day.

Yes, at 6.25 it powers on yes. So I must find out what wdtctl process is used for and go from there.

Hm, could be the cause, that I have plugged in USB port, two 5v computer fans, and could be the problem with not enough power for instance?

Yes, at 6.25 it powers on yes.
Removing the electrical power on a daily basis is not normally recommended, especially if you have any USB drives plugged in to it. If you simply want to reboot the router (which shouldn't be necessary anyway) you can schedule that task in the router's GUI.

So I must find out what wdtctl process is used for and go from there.
AFAIK this is not something that's user-configurable. You should use the Administration - Feedback page to report the problem to Asus so that they can get a fix from Broadcom.

Hm, could be the cause, that I have plugged in USB port, two 5v computer fans, and could be the problem with not enough power for instance?
Seems unlikely. The USB port is designed to power USB drives and should be able to provide at least 900mA, and probably a lot more.

Last edited:
Well, around midnight all my network devices and other stuff goes to sleep.

I think that should not be the cause for router to randomly restart from time to time? Or..

Well, around midnight all my network devices and other stuff goes to sleep.

I think that should not be the cause for router to randomly restart from time to time? Or..
No, your clients' behaviour should have no direct bearing on your router crashing.

I agree. The problem is that I had a little older Asus router which worked with no problem, now after router upgrade with newer model, I have some additional problems with it..
Oh well...

I agree. The problem is that I had a little older Asus router which worked with no problem, now after router upgrade with newer model, I have some additional problems with it..
Oh well...
I assume that you setup this router from scratch and didn't try to import an old backup file from your previous router?

It might be worth doing a hard reset and then manually configuring the router again just as a sanity check. If the problem still exists then report it to Asus.

I did that last week. Hold reset button while powering on, I think it was this combination.
I hope Asus support is responsive

Oh yes, the wps button. I did this too yes. Maybe I will give it a try once more ang hope for the best. Thx

I did hard reset, now i will wait and see ..In the mean time i submited a ticked on Asus support :)

I did hard reset, now i will wait and see .

I have owned the AX58U since November of 2019. That said i have used almost every firmware that has been released including Merlin builds. I have Never had any of the issues your dealing with. Has to be something on your side or possibly a defective unit. The AX58U don't get much love here on SNB forum, but for me it's been rock solid providing great wifi speeds and decent coverage. I paid 149.00 USD for it on sale and it's been worth every penny.

Well, I agree with you, I love this router too. I mean I was starting too :D. This monday I did a hard reset again, since then I didn't notice any random restart. Will see what hill hapen in next few days. I sent an email to support, then answer me to upgrade firmware to the latest one, but they thought my unit is RT-AC58U, not RT-AX58U :)

I am not sure about defective unit, I had those 5v fans on my mind that could cause the problem. I removed them, so now i am just observing the log file :D

2 days and a half, everything was ok, right now I plugged a aeotec hub into my switch, which is plugged in to router of course. And guess what happened? Router has restarted :(

Attachments

• syslog (3).txt
    198.3 KB · Views: 44
Again, there are no errors in the log. All indications are that the power to the router was interrupted.

I see you're still powering off the router each day. I really suggest you stop doing that. Is it connected to a timer switch? Perhaps that is faulty.

It's also indeed possible that your fans are faulty and shorting out the 5 volt supply. That would also cause the power adapter to shut itself off for protection.

Can you describe the electrical arrangement for your devices?

I removed the fans. Today router has crashed two times, during adding aeotec hub into the network. There must be something about some devices aren't supported or I dont know what elese.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!