What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AndrewJacob

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone,

I have a set of dual RT-AX86U routers setup in AiMesh over ethernet backhaul (using the 2.5G port) and I'm on Merlin's 386.3_2 software.
I have been away on holiday for 10 days and upon returning home and working from home, both my wife's and my work wi-fi connections have been dropping like hot potatoes (on 5Ghz) during MS Teams calls. Both our computers are on highest priority in adaptive QOS.
We both work for different companies and have different laptops and are experiencing the same problem. I have tried rebooting the routers but the problem persists.
I have attached 2 recent logs close to the time when we were getting many disconnects.
Can someone please help diagnose the issues? Not sure if Asus support will assist since I'm using Merlin firmware.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    445.6 KB · Views: 122
  • syslog (1).txt
    324 KB · Views: 108
As you are using Ethernet backhauul it might be a good idea to know your WIFI settings.

Have you tried rebooting the computers used? Not just Shut down and/or Sleep, but 'Restart'.

Thank you @bbunge and @L&LD !
To answer you:
1- Yes I am using ethernet backhaul
2- Yes both computers were restarted, and even my iPhone was dropping when on Wi-Fi, but as soon as I switched off my iPhone's wi-fi and put it on LTE, everything worked buttery smooth.
3- I have attached pictures of my settings and don't mind advice on improving those settings, but I'm primarily trying to solve the problem of what went wrong when those settings worked fine for several months and the wi-fi is now suddenly affecting my MS Teams calls.
AiMesh1.PNG
AiMesh1.PNG
AiMesh2.PNG
Wireless1.PNG
Wireless2.PNG

4- I don't know how to read the logs, but do they show anything concerning/abnormal?

Thanks in advance guys!

Andrew

Don't use DFS channels (use 36-48 or 149-161) and 160MHz wide channel (requires DFS).

Fwiw, here's another thread concerning RT-AX86U wifi disconnects, which doesn't offer any solution to the problem:

And, here's Asus's recommendation for compatibility with an AX router:

I've given up on using wifi with my RT-AX86U, for the time being. Maybe someday Asus will come up with a fix. When a wifi connected device is close to the AX86U, the device will run all day without disconnects. Put any range between the AX86U and a remote device, which is typical for a house, and, voila, random disconnects. My AC86U is rock solid, using the same device, same locations and same location for the routers.

First factory reset both the router and node. Manually set up the router. Use Dual Band Smart connect. Set the 2.4 Ghz to 20 Mhz and the 5 Ghz to 80 Mhz on Auto channel to start. Do not change any Professional settings! Add guest WiFi if needed. Add the node. Run like that for a day or so then set the WiFi channels the router has chosen to fixed channels.
Edit: I have run 160 MHz bandwidth successfully on the UNII 1 band. That is lower channels. Usually set to channel 36. But you will still use DFS channels and be subject to being RADAR bounced. That is why you need to use SmartConnect!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I've started by changing the channel to see if that makes a difference. I don't mind eventually doing a factory reset but I don't really understand why that would be necessary if I set up the routers correctly on here with @L&LD and I've had no issues since then, but I do all of a sudden without having changed anything. That's why I'm hoping it's simply an issue with that channel 56 I was using (on wi-fi analyzer there's no other device on that channel, but who knows... the app is recommending channel 52). Will update you guys later today to see if it works better now. It's tough because I have a lot of work calls that depend on a solid wireless connection, so fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone. I've started by changing the channel to see if that makes a difference. I don't mind eventually doing a factory reset but I don't really understand why that would be necessary if I set up the routers correctly on here with @L&LD and I've had no issues since then, but I do all of a sudden without having changed anything. That's why I'm hoping it's simply an issue with that channel 56 I was using (on wi-fi analyzer there's no other device on that channel, but who knows... the app is recommending channel 52). Will update you guys later today to see if it works better now. It's tough because I have a lot of work calls that depend on a solid wireless connection, so fingers crossed.
You might also go to Asus firmware. It now has DoT and soon DNS Filter. I was a Merlin devotee for years and recently went to Asus with my AX86U to simplify things in case I am not here for the family. Things happen to old guys...
Edit: L&LD's procedures are his way of doing things and not necessarily the right way...

It's tough because I have a lot of work calls that depend on a solid wireless connection, so fingers crossed.

Never use DFS channels then. The router may work for months and then cut off because of radar transmissions detected around you. 36-48 and 149-161 only at 80MHz wide. No one using the channel doesn't mean it's good. Perhaps the routers around you on Auto moved away from this channel.

@AndrewJacob, our wireless networks are not static entities. Even if we don't change one iota ourselves, the wireless environment around us isn't guaranteed to stay unchanged. New equipment installs, (neighbors, City, Federal, and even contractors), temporarily or permanently, earth's constantly changing/shifting force fields, and even weather patterns all conspire to keep our Wi-Fi Fu on edge.

And that is assuming we don't have any internal hardware/power issues on our equipment too.

Are all network infrastructure on quality UPS' and/or you are lucky enough to live in an area with no power surges, power outages, brownouts, or other power sags? Are the UPS' tested regularly, if in use? Did our client devices get updates and upgrades on their OS and their network (and other) drivers? I think you can see now and appreciate how nothing stays still in the digital realm.

Use the best practice suggestions to get your network/router stable today. If/when things change (and they will), you need to do it again to make your network as stable as possible then too.

Hi all, thank you for your help. The problem was with the channel only. I suppose what you said happened that I used that channel for months and all of a sudden it's no longer good. @L&LD I understand what you're saying but I want to make this as stable as possible. I'm sure there are consumer systems that have some type of auto mode. Maybe I should do that for the channels? I can't imagine the average home users having to constantly adapt their network. But for specialized installations that makes sense.

Judging by the number of calls I get, the average home user doesn't know this is an option and just blames it on the ISP, hardware, etc. while living with it.

Does 'Auto' anything work in some environments? Yes, for a period. But isn't anything I would be depending on if I want to offer fast, consistent, and secure wireless setups. Without the variability of the various 'Auto' settings that pre-customers experience before I set up their networks properly for them.

Thank you @bbunge and @L&LD !
To answer you:
1- Yes I am using ethernet backhaul
2- Yes both computers were restarted, and even my iPhone was dropping when on Wi-Fi, but as soon as I switched off my iPhone's wi-fi and put it on LTE, everything worked buttery smooth.
3- I have attached pictures of my settings and don't mind advice on improving those settings, but I'm primarily trying to solve the problem of what went wrong when those settings worked fine for several months and the wi-fi is now suddenly affecting my MS Teams calls.View attachment 36731View attachment 36731View attachment 36732View attachment 36733View attachment 36734
4- I don't know how to read the logs, but do they show anything concerning/abnormal?

Thanks in advance guys!

Andrew
I had the same setup like you, 2 x AX86U AiMesh - but mine 5Ghz backhaul rather than Ethernet. And my 5Ghz wireless setting is unchecked 160Mhz and disconnection set at -70db for both 2.4 & 5Ghz...and currently covering almost my whole house lot (6500sqft , 2.4Ghz will be used if I am at the corner of my house lot otherwise 5Ghz works just fine any corner inside the house either by Node or Router's 5Ghz/2.4Ghz connection).

BTW, I am on Asuswrt latest firmware!