What's new

RT-AX86U bricked after update Version 3.0.0.4.386.48377

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How will they (ASUS) fix it?
My perfectly functioning router is dead because of their faulty firmware and poor QA. I RMA-ed it last Tuesday, and I’m without a router since then (getting by on mobile). The store will probably give me a brand new one (or I’ll get my money back), but still, I’ll lose 7-10 days on something that should not have happened in the first place & lose a ton of nerves and productivity. *sigh*
They will ask their representatives i mean fanboys to perform CPR :D and it will magically turn on (PR Power).
Then they may comeback with something like it’s a feature and somehow its your fault.

Last edited:
Today i downgraded my AX85S to the old firmware. had troubles with 2.4 an 5ghz connections on this routrer with the latest firmware in iamesh.
After downgrading to FW_RT_AX86U_300438646061 and re-installed as a Iamesh node it worked as it use to be before this lousy update.

Shame on you Asus

…and so after a month and a week later, I got a full refund for my AX86U.
Of course they couldn’t fix it.
They can’t get me a new one because it’s unobtainable at the moment from their wholesale partner.
I also can’t find it in any other store - mostly unobtainable or those few that have it set a crazy price for it (~€300-400).
And there’s that. :(

I lost an amazing piece of hardware by sheer stupidity and carelesness of it’s creator.

- sent via TP-Link Archer AX50.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

apart from the random messages in the log the firmware has been ok for me.

I updated more or less straight away through the GUI.

The router has never restarted or lost connection on ethernet or wifi. I had to manually restart due to electric works in the house but my uptime should be around a month.

Uptime8 days 22 hour(s) 34 minute(s) 50 seconds

They can’t get me a new one because it’s unobtainable at the moment from their wholesale partner.
I also can’t find it in any other store - mostly unobtainable or those few that have it set a crazy price for it (~€300-400).

I lost an amazing piece of hardware by sheer stupidity and carelesness of it’s creator.

- sent via TP-Link Archer AX50.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sorry to hear that. Luckily they are in stock here in europe

Bummer dude.

Ask ASUS... it's presumably their defect.

Consider keeping backup hardware like a previous router on hand... like a spare tire to keep you going when these things happen.

OE
That's the upside of having some AiMesh nodes...if the primary router craps out, just promote one of the AiMesh nodes to the primary router while the main router is RMA'd.

A bit off-topic, but this is a good Intel hardware router. Is HomeCare free now or still requires a subscription?
Not sure. I don't use it so it's not turned on.
I'm surprised how good this little AX50 is.
I plan to get some in the line of AX86U by the end of the year. But not know.
I'm still so bitter because of this rotten firmware. Ugh. :(

I’m new to this router having bought it a few weeks ago. I get that the last firmware update was pulled because it bricked many routers.

Do we know why it bricked routers?

I’m assuming Asus will issue another update at some point. Was it a specific issue with the firmware or the router that caused the problem with routers being bricked?

I’m new to this router having bought it a few weeks ago. I get that the last firmware update was pulled because it bricked many routers.

I’m assuming Asus will issue another update at some point. Was it a specific issue with the firmware or the router that caused the problem with routers being bricked?
Not everyone had their router bricked. I did a successful upgrade but something did not seem right so I went back to the prior Asus firmware then flashed Merlin 386.5_2.
Pretty sure Merlin knows what went wrong.

My router updated automatically, successfully. After the new firmware was pulled, I fell back manually to the previous release.

According to @RMerlin ASUS is aware of what caused the issue. So we can be sure that that won’t be the cause of the next bricked router…:p

Are they keeping it secret?
It’s up to ASUS, generally companies (especially ASUS) don’t divulge much detailed information about this kind of bug.

The upshot is they know what the issue is and are in the process of a fix.

I just finished reading through this thread. This explains why my new RT-AX86U didn't download the latest April update like the 82U did on setup, and why I had to do a manual update to the January update from the stock firmware on the 86U.

My router is stable, but makes me wonder now if the 82U I returned to amazon in exchange for the 86U was only misbehaving because the the April update.
Well, at this point, it doesn't matter, my Zaku II edition 86U is stable on 46061 from January 11th. I have auto update turned off though, so I'll be able to manually update to any new updates after proven stable.

Thanks for the info in this thread. It explains a lot.

Hey guys, there seems to be a new firmware out with build 49447 at the end. I updated my 86U this morning through the web gui. So far, no problems.
Here is a screenshot. The router didn't even seem to reboot, it just finished the update and carried on.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 6.43.45 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 6.43.45 AM.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 123

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!