What's new

RT-AX86U bricked after update Version 3.0.0.4.386.48377

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So everyone who has issues has the AX86U and not the AX86S.

Be handy to try and figure out who has what and how they flashed etc.

It can be found, but it can’t be downloaded.

I should have tried that to fully report.

Thanks to all the early testers... I'll hold at 46061 at three locations.

OE

So everyone who has issues has the AX86U and not the AX86S.

Be handy to try and figure out who has what and how they flashed etc.
I wish ASUS will separate these two models with a separate firmware for each model and a separate support pages

I don’t know, but after i saw the system log is spamming kernel errors every sec for all night it kinda freaked me out so I went and manually downloaded and flashed the previous version..
also first i tried to reboot router and mesh system to see if the errors are gone but then the AX86U not finding the aimesh nodes so i went and flashed the previous firmware.
AX86S

I have a fair few of these.

kernel: CONSOLE:

But not every second, all night.

AX86S

I have a fair few of these.

kernel: CONSOLE:

But not every second, all night.

Same here, tons of these "kernel: CONSOLE:" lines in the log, not liking it but no idea what it means either so went back to 3.0.0.4.386_46061
without any issues.
Now no more kernel: CONSOLE but other stuff in the log of course, I am not worried, router works great for me with 3.0.0.4.386_46061 and before with the latest version from yesterday (pulled from Asus site)...

Same here, tons of these "kernel: CONSOLE:" lines in the log, not liking it but no idea what it means either so went back to 3.0.0.4.386_46061
without any issues.
Now no more kernel: CONSOLE but other stuff in the log of course, I am not worried, router works great for me with 3.0.0.4.386_46061 and before with the latest version from yesterday (pulled from Asus site)...
I might look at downgrading the AX86S then.

Jeez. haha.

without any issues.
3.0.0.4.386_46061 was the most reliable version i think i will downgrade to that.

That’s why from now on i will never update straight away I’ll wait a week minimum before upgrading to a newer firmware!
Actually wondering if updating only if things do not work would be the better approach... if you ever need to start from scratch with this router it is truly a major pain and can take hours.....

Last edited:
Actually wondering if updating only if thing do not work would be the better approach... if you ever need to start from scratch with this router it is truly a major pain and can take hours.....
Depends on your configuration,
Mine is simple so i can start fresh in a few minutes.
However it is important to upgrade the firmware for security and performance reasons

Need help guys.

Tonight my asus app presented me an update Version 3.0.0.4.386.48377 for my main router AX86U and my Ethernet backhaul connected router AX82U. My other ethernet backhaul connected router AX86S did not needed to update
So via the Asus app i started the update and forgot about it. After 2 hours i noticed that i had no wifi in my house. Checked the AX86U and all light where out. No lights on back at the LAN connections.
Restarted the router nothing happend. Tried it a few other times *removed adapter, used button etc) and then gave up.
Going to check the adapter tomorrow morning.

I followed the normal update procedure right? AX82U still worked as a ethernet AP so that not got bricked.

Thanks for the advise and help
Same here, unfortunately.

3.0.0.4.386_46061 was the most reliable version i think i will downgrade to that.
After seeing absolutely no evidence of 3.0.0.4.386.48377 on the Asus website today and a lot of odd messages in the log, I fell back to 3.0.0.4.386_46061 out of an abundance of caution and turned off auto-update for now. I don't know that it was necessary but don't see what it could hurt either. Screenshot afterwards...
Asus 86U firmware fallback 041222.jpg

After seeing absolutely no evidence of 3.0.0.4.386.48377 on the Asus website today and a lot of odd messages in the log, I fell back to 3.0.0.4.386_46061 out of an abundance of caution and turned off auto-update for now. I don't know that it was necessary but don't see what it could hurt either.
Well done, the new update is not available anymore. Asus is investigating the reports.

Last edited:
I wish ASUS will separate these two models with a separate firmware for each model and a separate support pages
No need to, they run the exact same code. Just like the RT-AC68U and RT-AC66U_B1.

Actually wondering if updating only if things do not work would be the better approach..
Depends if you consider a number of security fixes to be "things not working".

Certainly no harm in waiting at least a few days even in case of security fixes.

Well this weird. I just got an AX86. I manually applied the firmware update a couple days ago when released and had no problems. I have firmware auto-update disabled, but today I see that my 86U is back to 46061. Did Asus push out a forced downgrade?

Well this weird. I just got an AX86. I manually applied the firmware update a couple days ago when released and had no problems. I have firmware auto-update disabled, but today I see that my 86U is back to 46061. Did Asus push out a forced downgrade?
It is very likely ... asus had already done this in the past (DSL-AC68U)

Spooky!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!