What's new

RT-AX86U Frustrating Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anttheninja

New Around Here
Hi all,

I am having the oddest problem. I have an RT-AX86U that has been flawless. I only have 200mbps download and 30 upload but it runs everything we throw at it perfectly until recently. When both me and my wife work from home, she uses two laptops since she is a teacher and uses two different google meets at the same time to view her kids on one screen and screen share on the other. I use another computer in a different room of the house to do my work which is mainly web-based, nothing too data heavy by any means.

When I am home and working on my laptop, it causes issues with her google meets, the videos go in and out and become very choppy/laggy. If I turn my laptop off, everything returns back to normal. Is this just a limitation of my download speeds? or is there something else going on?

We never have any issues streaming 4k HDR/DV on two different tvs in the house while simultaneously using 2 laptops/phones which I thought should would be way more data heavy but with three laptops on, she has a ton of issues with video chats.

Note: We do not have the TV's on when we work so the only streaming going on is her video chats.

The first thing I would check when the problem occurs is the bandwidth usage. Particularly on the upload. Log into the router and look at the Traffic Analyzer.

Is your laptop using a VPN connection back to the main office?

The first thing I would check when the problem occurs is the bandwidth usage. Particularly on the upload. Log into the router and look at the Traffic Analyzer.

Is your laptop using a VPN connection back to the main office?
I have a feeling this is probably it. with only 30 up, I'm sure this isn't ideal. No VPNs used

30 up should normally be sufficient. Connections to corporate VPN servers can use a lot though which is why I asked.

Be aware that Windows 10 by default can use your internet connection to upload its updates to other Windows 10 users on the internet.

30 up should normally be sufficient. Connections to corporate VPN servers can use a lot though which is why I asked.

Be aware that Windows 10 by default can use your internet connection to upload its updates to other Windows 10 users on the internet.

interesting, is there a way to turn that off?

Settings > Update & Security > Delivery Optimisation > Allow downloads... = Off

Awesome! I’m going to try that tomorrow.
I also noticed that when I login to the router using the web address, it shows 75 clients are connected, which is not correct but if I use the router app on my phone it shows 28 which is correct.

I can see little numbers next to some of the icons, see attached photo, what does this mean? I have a Samsung TV but I don’t have 27 of them ha

Attachments

• D3213DB9-8C7A-4DEC-B444-462CDCD316BB.jpeg
    D3213DB9-8C7A-4DEC-B444-462CDCD316BB.jpeg
    18.4 KB · Views: 105

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!