What's new

RT-AX86U Printer Support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thri Cipio

New Around Here
I have an HP P1600 LaserJet printer that's in good shape but hasn't been used ever since my Windows laptop went out of service quite some time ago. Recently, I've set up my new (Subject:) router and just last evening ordered an ethernet (CAT6) cable to attach my printer directly to the router. My only computer devices are mobile, running Android: my Pixel phone and my Samsung tablet.

I'm not sure what to expect; don't even know if this can work. So, I thought I'd ask. Really, I guess I'm just looking for a little encouragement or (less preferably) at least an early heads-up that I shouldn't get my hopes up.

So what say thee . . .
(1) "This will work and should be fairly straight forward to set up." —OR—
(2) "This might work but it may require some heavy tweeking to make it happen." —OR—
(3) "Sorry but there's no way this will work and maybe you should get your laptop back in service." :eek:

If the answer is similar to 1 or 2 then if you happen to have any hints, tips or suggestions about how to approach the setup, I'm all ears; er, uh, rather eyes.

Thanks ahead of time for whatever (if any) thoughts you might share.

Regards,
—Thri

I have an HP P1600 LaserJet printer that's in good shape but hasn't been used ever since my Windows laptop went out of service quite some time ago. Recently, I've set up my new (Subject:) router and just last evening ordered an ethernet (CAT6) cable to attach my printer directly to the router. My only computer devices are mobile, running Android: my Pixel phone and my Samsung tablet.

I'm not sure what to expect; don't even know if this can work. So, I thought I'd ask. Really, I guess I'm just looking for a little encouragement or (less preferably) at least an early heads-up that I shouldn't get my hopes up.

So what say thee . . .
(2) "This might work but it may require some heavy tweeking to make it happen." —OR—
(3) "Sorry but there's no way this will work and maybe you should get your laptop back in service." :eek:

If the answer is similar to 1 or 2 then if you happen to have any hints, tips or suggestions about how to approach the setup, I'm all ears; er, uh, rather eyes.

Regards,
—Thri

Review the printer docs to install it as an Ethernet-connected network printer.

OE

As per the previous post, this is really nothing to do with what router your have. It comes down to the network capabilities of the printer and the printer options available on your client devices.

For example, on my android phone I use the HP Print Service Plugin rather that the default Samsung Print Service Plugin.

OE & Colin–

Thanks so much for your replies and the info contained therein.

I figured there must be more to it than just (cable) connecting the the printer to the router and your replies not only corroborated that but gave me the specifics of what to look for.

I've already located the HP Print Service Plugin in the Google Play Store and I'll go to HP's website to find the relevant documents for my specific printer.

My cable should arrive tomorrow so here's hoping for a successful setup. I'll post the results here.

Thanks again . . .
—Thri

So what say thee . . .

Regards,
—Thri
I would say option 1. If the printer has a built in Ethernet jack most of what you do on the printer is disable WiFi then use Windows to add a printer and in this case a networked printer. If you need step by step Google the process or use YouTube.

... then use Windows to add a printer and in this case a networked printer. If you need step by step Google the process or use YouTube.
I'd also agree with (1) but he isn't using Windows: "my Windows laptop went out of service quite some time ago" and "My only computer devices are mobile, running Android: my Pixel phone and my Samsung tablet"

I'd agree with 1) but he isn't using Windows: "my Windows laptop went out of service quite some time ago" and "My only computer devices are mobile, running Android: my Pixel phone and my Samsung tablet"
I read that but I'm sure that using some other OS it has to be similar and allow you to setup a networked printer. Also probably could borrow a PC and do the setup.

I read that but I'm sure that using some other OS it has to be similar and allow you to setup a networked printer. Also probably could borrow a PC and do the setup.
See posts #3 and #4 regarding the Android client. The printer itself can be configured from its front panel, no PC required.

It might be whole lot simpler than you imagine! Before anything else try installing the HP Smart Ap on your devices. This should work with any WiFi enabled HP printer manufactured after 2010.
*On the downside, at one point (V1), in order to use HP Smart the printer needed to be connected to the internet, and the fact that print documents can be emailed (using easily guessed parameters) means you need to turn the printer off or you may wake up to a pile of s#!£ on your printer in the morning (mine woke me up!).

CaptainSTX, Colin & Crimliar–

Your responses, since my most recent reply, are all very helpful. And I'm very grateful. Each of your posts adds a little more to my nascent understanding of how all this hangs together.

I guess I'll add, with a modicum of chagrin, that it's beginning to seem like I may not have needed to buy that CAT6 cable afterall. On the other hand, eventually I'll get my Windows laptop up and running again at which point — given it's age: it's a 2012 Thinkpad — it might be advisable to cable connect it to the router; assuming I won't really need the cable for the printer.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.
—Thri

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!