What's new

RT-AX88U configured as Repeater but clients cannot connect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Andyandyandyandyandy

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I have 2 RT-AX88U. The first is running as the router and all clients connect fine. The second AX88U is running in Repeater mode on the 5Ghz band. Wired devices plugged into the Repeater work fine so the connection to the first router is ok. However wireless clients will not connect on either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz through the repeater.

This is the entry from the log on the repeater when a device tries to connect.

Mar 30 11:03:39 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(505): wl1.1: Auth FA:C4:52:DD:EA:4E, status: Successful (0)
Mar 30 11:03:39 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(534): wl1.1: Assoc FA:C4:52:DD:EA:4E, status: Successful (0)
Mar 30 11:03:50 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(469): wl1.1: Deauth_ind FA:C4:52:DD:EA:4E, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)

The device reports a password problem but I've tried several devices and passwords. If I set the security as open, it connects ok.
I'm running 386.2 beta 3 Merlin on both units and have also tried the original Asus firmware.
I'm confident the Repeater hardware is ok as if I run it in Mesh mode everything is ok but the throughput speeds are much slower than Repeater mode.

Any ideas please?

The message indicates that the client is trying to connect to the 1st guest SSID on 5GHz. Is this intentional? The 1st guest SSID on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands works differently now because of AiMesh and may not be compatible with repeater mode. Use the main SSID or the 2nd and 3rd guest SSIDs.

Hi, thanks for the help. On the router I have 2 seperate SSID's one for 2.4ghz and one for 5ghz. I'm not using any guest SSID's. The repeater connects to the 5ghz SSID. I've just tried enabling a guest SSID but get the same problem. It looks as though the client very briefly connects but then the connection is dropped.

Ah, OK. It sounds like the interface names are slightly different than what I'm used to on the AX88U in repeater mode. I'm out of ideas, it might simply be a bug.

I also have 2 AX88U. But I run I mesh. Guess I could try and do the same as you and see if mine does the same
Is your SSID names and the same on main and repeater ?
Right now running imesh mode. Mines wired back haul
I never knew about it being faster in repeater mode

I've not used the 2nd router as a Repeater previously but have tried this configuration with the latest ASUS firmware as well as Merlin's. The 2nd router has been used in Mesh mode but although the throughput was good it's nearly twice as quick in Repeater mode.

Do you have yours connected wireless ? Or hard wired ?
ok testing

Last edited:
I just tried the same thing. And I’m getting the same results, won’t stay connected to clients. But it’s connected to the other main ax88U

Last edited:
Hold Up.....I have just tired Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode, rather than repeater mode like I did last time..When clients couldn't connect

Clients are connecting now, since having wired, IPhone has been connected for 9mins so far

Attachments

• C5D02CDC-D0B7-4B26-8970-8C7618CAADB2.jpeg
    C5D02CDC-D0B7-4B26-8970-8C7618CAADB2.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Hi, but I think you need a network cable from the router to the second 88U which isn't possible, hence the repeater mode? unless there's another option i'm missing.

If you setup manually you have to decide repeater mode (wifi backhaul) or AP mode with ethernet backhaul.
Both will do its job.

go back to firmware 386.1_2. stable release. Try that, on the main router

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!