What's new

RT-AX88U Merlin support?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

upload_2018-10-13_12-12-18.png

The router will be released in Sweden later this month. Will try to get one as fast as possible.
Maybe OpenVPN speed will not be much better compared to the RT-AC86U since it only supports single core.
But once we got you RMerlin to support this new router with your firmware, then we can run the WireGuard VPN protocol on it and get full usage of the QuadCore CPU.
Will be intersting to see the results then. But this will most likly not be before end of November or December this year.
Anyway, looking forword for it already now.

Thats exactly what I supposed.
But would be nice to see which 5G channels are supported and which are usable for 160/80/40/20 MHz bandwith, depending on region.
120- 128 on 5ghz at 160 mhz are open for use, at least in the U.S. Attached a screen shot for you.

Attachments

• channels.jpg
    channels.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 565
@all
I have the RT-AC88U and i might change to RT-AX88U in the future... but i wonder about the bandwidth "limitations".
I live in Switzerland so the Channels with higher Bandwidth are very limited.
If i'm not wrong there is "only" One Channel (155) with 80MHz Bandwidth but much lower power output (25mw?).
Is there a way for me to improve that in some way? :confused:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5_GHz_(802.11a/h/j/n/ac/ax)
There is no setting for Switzerland in Asus firmware, you would need to use EU (or something else) and with EU there are not ch. >149 supported at all.
Maybe different on coming AX88U, but would make me wondering.

Got two of them in yesterday. Using one as my main router and the other as a bridge in another building. I'm getting 2-3 times the speed I was getting with 2 GT-AC5300's. Not assuming this means anything for possible firmware support but, doesn't look like theres any of the proprietary stuff the GT has:
View attachment 14728
"2-3 times the speed"; what exactly are these faster speeds you are referring to? What is faster...file transfers....what?

Wanted to post the same, so that mr RMerlin could take a look into the source :)

Right now I can't seem to use my AX88U actively in my current setup because of some vlan issues. With merlin fw on my AC87U I just need to set my vlan for the phone box and it works flawlessly. With the Asus firmware on the AX88U it somehow doesn't quite work, it connects a bit but the phone somehow doesn't work. I haven't quite figured out what the difference is yet. One thing I noticed that robocfg is no longer present, I'm not sure which tool replaces it however.

In the mean time I'm trying to get it sorted together with Asus, but I also report myself for active testing if any (hopefully) merlin firmware comes along :)

Source code.
Great news, hopefully all works out and it can be included for future Merlin firmware updates. Can't wait to replace my ageing RT-AC87U with this one.

I've been looking at the AX88 code since last week. Primary obstacle at this point is that this router's firmware is built from a separate code branch than what is used for other models, which means I'd have to develop both firmware (the "main" one and this one) in parallel. I'm still evaluating the impact of this amount of work (on top of the work required to implement support for it, plus the incoming 384_4xxxx merge that will happen in the coming weeks).

Maybe it's time to drop some of the older model routers in favor of the incoming AX models.

Maybe it's time to drop some of the older model routers in favor of the incoming AX models.

The RT-AC56U is probably on its way out since it's now on Asus's EOL list. It won't save me that much work however, since it shares the same SDK as the RT-AC68U. Merging binary blobs is generally a very quick process, as I've written a script that does everything for me in just a few seconds.

The GPL code itself is always the most painful to merge, and generally involves several hours of work every time.

Is there a possibility that all routers will merge to this new code in future updates? This would probably make sense since ASUS would deal with the same issue of maintaining separate code branches for the new router lineup. BTW the GT-AX1100 will also be available soon on Nov. 15: Newegg Item # N82E16833320371

Good god, that is one ridiculous looking router. For $450 better to use a real firewall (pfsense, sophos, sonicwall, etc), and some ap's.

Is there a possibility that all routers will merge to this new code in future updates?

I'd expect the AX code branch to eventually merge with the regular 384 code branch, but only Asus would know for sure, or have any idea of an ETA for it to happen.

Wanted to post the same, so that mr RMerlin could take a look into the source :)

Right now I can't seem to use my AX88U actively in my current setup because of some vlan issues. With merlin fw on my AC87U I just need to set my vlan for the phone box and it works flawlessly. With the Asus firmware on the AX88U it somehow doesn't quite work, it connects a bit but the phone somehow doesn't work. I haven't quite figured out what the difference is yet. One thing I noticed that robocfg is no longer present, I'm not sure which tool replaces it however.

In the mean time I'm trying to get it sorted together with Asus, but I also report myself for active testing if any (hopefully) merlin firmware comes along :)

Was looking at some pics of AX88U on Amazon and it appears that this time the power cord plugs into the power adapter? Is that correct? This is definitely different from other Asus routers I have seen.

IMG_0142.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!