What's new

RT-AX88U Merlin support?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Was looking at some pics of AX88U on Amazon and it appears that this time the power cord plugs into the power adapter? Is that correct? This is definitely different from other Asus routers I have seen.

The adapter I got is physically identical to previous ones, it's a power brick. I got a dev sample from Taiwan tho, not a retail box, so things might be different...

Last edited:
Would be worth to upgrade to this router from an AC88U?
I have 15 wifi devices in the 5Ghz band only (disable the 2.4 band).
1 Gb fiber connection

Would be worth to upgrade to this router from an AC88U?
I have 15 wifi devices in the 5Ghz band only (disable the 2.4 band).
1 Gb fiber connection
Probably not. There are basically no clients that can take advantage of AX (Wi-Fi 6) yet. If your AC88U works keep it for at least another year.

the adapter is physically identical to that of rt-ac86u or gt-ac5300, while the dimensions are a middle way of the aforementioned.

Will buy this router ASA Merlin support.

Need this router and firewall replace my FIOS G1100.

Every mins there is a attack to my router.

Need a fast and safe one!!!

Will buy this router ASA Merlin support.

Need this router and firewall replace my FIOS G1100.

Every mins there is a attack to my router.

Need a fast and safe one!!!

I pre-order it on this Merlin's tweet fingers crossed its AX88U

Last edited:
upload_2018-10-27_22-23-53.png

Wow for passive cooled unit, it is amazing.
How is router performance in general ?

I only used it for a day as my main router, I can't afford the constant downtimes involved in firmware development. So I can't really comment on its performance. CPU is the quadcore version of the RT-AC86U, so its VPN and USB performance will be on par with that model.

If support goes ahead any chance we can get cake in this and the 86u?

Will the 86u benefit and possibly be able to use the newer kernel version or anything else from this model's GPL release?

Will the 86u benefit and possibly be able to use the newer kernel version or anything else from this model's GPL release?
No, binary blobs are not compatible.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!