What's new

RT-AX88U or RT-AX86U as main Router using AiMesh 2.0 with Merlin firmware.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@wmmallette47 at that price, the RT-AX88U is an exceptional buy. Grab it while you can.

Cost doesn't make up for features, but in your case, the features the RT-AX86U has do not seem to be 'required'.

The RT-AX86U and the RT-AX88U are still the top two RMerlin supported Asus routers available today.

what you did in the end?
Initially, I ended up with a replacement unit (RT-AX86U) from Micro Center. Much better experience with the second unit. Ran the RT-AX86U as the primary (WAN) device.

My experience was short lived. I ended up switching to a complete Ubiquiti UniFi system.

More control. More functionality. I was happy with my ASUS-Merlin setup. This was an upgrade for me. My UniFi setup is rather extensive. Firewall/gateway, POE++ switches and their latest WiFi6 Access Points.

The equipment is very capable. I really like the VLAN and layer 3 switching. Additionally, I’m running two Raspberry Pi 4s (8gb) with Ubuntu Server as their OS. They run unbound, Pihole and Bitwarden (via docker).

The wife gave the greenlight and I didn’t hesitate.

I upgraded from AC86U to AX86U, keeping a single Unifi nanoHD as the AP (with UC-CK controller and US-8-60W switch). I prefer the simplicity of Asuswrt-Merlin vs a UI gateway. With WAN aggregation on a Netgear CM1100 modem, I'm getting about 960-1200ish, occasionally to 1400 on Comcast Gigabit. I specifically wanted an upright Asus due to closet space. Got it used for about $180.

I'm still scrounging the AC86U as it is well priced and the mesh works perfectly. I get about 450 Mbps on my 500 Mbps line.

I've been reading several of these Asus threads to just get a general idea of people's feedback as the topics are similar, but also different. I wanted to add a question here since this is also an Asus related question. Why do none of the Asus routers have more than 4 antenna, outside the really expensive high end gaming GT, ROG models?

Many of the cheaper options such as TP-Link have at least 6 on their newer AX routers. Both dual and TRI-Band models.

I know there are Asus TRI-Band routers with more, was mainly just curious about the dual band. Even the latest Airport Extreme from 2013, has 6 internal antenna, and it was a 1st Gen 80211ac device. With this said though, does it even make a difference? come to think of it, they all seem to perform about the same in my environment. As big as the 88U is they could have probably given it 6 instead of just 4.

Why do none of the Asus routers have more than 4 antenna

External antennas are mostly visual design element. In most cases you need none. 2.4GHz antenna is about 6cm long, 5GHz is about 3cm. Antennas used in home routers are omni-directional. What you see as "antenna" is mostly non-functional plastic. Routers with more visible antennas, red accents and RGB lights are the more "powerful" ones for people who know nothing about Wi-Fi. And they are the target customers. How many business class access points have external antennas?

External antennas are mostly visual design element. In most cases you need none. 2.4GHz antenna is about 6cm long, 5GHz is about 3cm. Antennas used in home routers are omni-directional. What you see as "antenna" is mostly non-functional plastic. Routers with more visible antennas, red accents and RGB lights are the more "powerful" ones for people who know nothing about Wi-Fi. And they are the target customers. How many business class access points have external antennas?
I've never interacted with business class APs to date, so I have no experience. However, I could look some models up to find out. I have seen little round pucks in networking videos and there are no antenna externally. In fact, they usually go on the ceiling and point down. because they are a dome and that's how the signal is spread around.

because they are a dome and that's how the signal is spread around.

This is not how the signal is spread around. The housing shape doesn't matter. It is true most ceiling mount access points are slightly directional, but just because they are made this way. In the same "puck" housing you may have omni-directional antennas like in Google Wi-Fi, Amazon Eero, TP-Link Deco M5 and many more examples. None of the "mesh" Wi-Fi systems have external antennas, including popular Asus ZenWiFi and Netgear Orbi models.

This is how the signal spreads around omni-directional antenna. Most home routers have 3dbi antennas or less. Routers with internal antennas have them oriented in different planes for more uniform 360-degree coverage.

1655596631194.png

This is not how the signal is spread around. The housing shape doesn't matter. It is true most ceiling mount access points are slightly directional, but just because they are made this way. In the same "puck" housing you may have omni-directional antennas like in Google Wi-Fi, Amazon Eero, TP-Link Deco M5 and many more examples. None of the "mesh" Wi-Fi systems have external antennas, including popular Asus ZenWiFi and Netgear Orbi models.

This is how the signal spreads around omni-directional antenna. Most home routers have 3dbi antennas or less. Routers with internal antennas have them oriented in different planes for more uniform 360-degree coverage.

View attachment 41965
Right, when I answered your first question about the external antenna was to say the point made in the one video I saw with the puck shaped access points was an illustration that while the puck looked like a physical dome the signal comes out in all directions like a dome as well, and putting them on the ceiling was ideal so the signal could blanket the area more evenly. So the physical design was more of an illustration on how the invisible signal might look if we could see it.

Don't hijack the threads, please. Open your own thread when you have questions to ask.

Don't hijack the threads, please. Open your own thread when you have questions to ask.
OK, I'll do that. I wasn't sure if I was hiJacking since many of my questions were related to conversations already in the threads. I'll just open my own from now on.

So the physical design was more of an illustration on how the invisible signal might look if we could see it.

No. The radiation pattern is in specifications. The shape doesn't matter. My business access points are in square housing, for example.