What's new

RT-AX88U & RTAC88U AiMesh wired with warning on performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mswlogo

New Around Here
RT-AX88U & RTAC88U Single Mesh Node Wired (Cat5e point to point)

Everything is working but the Status on the AiMesh shows Yellow on connection between the two Routers with a Link to a FAQ to improve it.

Why is it showing that? Is it just being dumb?

RT-AX88U & RTAC88U Single Mesh Node Wired (Cat5e point to point)

Everything is working but the Status on the AiMesh shows Yellow on connection between the two Routers with a Link to a FAQ to improve it.

Why is it showing that? Is it just being dumb?
Likely because the cable is bad. Is it a home fabricated cable and not tested?

Never mind. Figured out it's running 100Mb instead of 1Gb the yellow status seemed worse than it was.

Likely because the cable is bad. Is it a home fabricated cable and not tested?
Tested for speed?

The wiring is fine, but I grabbed random patch cables that were not labeled 5e. I need to toss everything labeled Cat5.

Tested for speed?

The wiring is fine, but I grabbed random patch cables that were not labeled 5e. I need to toss everything labeled Cat5.
No, don't toss them if they are good. Cat 5 will do 1 GB just fine. Cat 5e will do 2.5 GB. If the router shows 100 MB and there is no 100 MB switch in between there is a cable problem.
The Asus yellow speed warning is a pain. I have a 10/100 PoE switch and a cam that connects at 100 MB. The router complains that the speed can be improved. I will not replace hardware that is working just fine. My vams do not need a GB connection.

Last edited:
No, don't toss them if they are good. Cat 5 will do 1 GB just fine. Cat 5e will do 2.5 GB. If the router shows 100 MB and there is no 100 MB switch in between there is a cable problem.
The Asus yellow speed warning is a pain. I have a 10/100 PoE switch and a cam that connects at 100 MB. The router complains that the speed can be improved. I will not replace hardware that is working just fine. My vams do not need a GB connection.

Many cat 5 patch cables only have 2 pair wired. Which means 100M only. They also will not do gig fine at longer distances or near electrical wiring. I tossed all cat 5 years ago and everyone else should too.

Tested for speed?

If you look at the ends of the patch cable, you'll probably see that only 4 out of 8 pins have wires. Gig requires all 8. Even with all 8, cat 5 is not rated for gig and can have issues at longer distances or near interference. Agreed, throw them all away, I purged mine years ago.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!