1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-N66U blocking website and missing icons in new Firmware 380.69_2 (Merlin)

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by Ametz, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Ametz

Ametz Occasional Visitor

I have a big problem, somehow my router is blocking a website (seen like 2-3 sites that's been blocked the same way even with my phone wifi via the router its blocked) and i dont know why.

Depending on what browser i use i get:

• Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings

• This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website’s owner.

So i did what anyone would, updated to latest firmware (RT-N66U_380.67_0) after i updated it said there was a newer update again (icons worked then) (I found out the mirror site did not have the latest firmware then) so i upgraded directly again to latest from tha main download site (380.69_2). But then all icons disappeared in the web UI

And i still can't access that website from any PC (Many browsers) or via phone (WIFI via Router but on cellular it works)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Have you tried doing a factory reset followed by a manual reconfigure?

4. Ametz

Ametz Occasional Visitor

Why? everthing else works. I really dont think this is that kind of a problem.

5. ColinTaylor

It could be some corrupted NVRAM settings.

It would take hardly any time to save a backup of your current settings followed by a factory reset and basic setup to see if that fixes your issue. If it doesn't make any difference then reload your saved settings and you're back to where you were.

6. ColinTaylor

Ametz likes this.
  7. Ametz

Ametz Occasional Visitor

Thank that worked for the icons.
    But i still can't access that website yet =P

8. dlandiss

dlandiss Senior Member

Sounds like your ISP is blocking those addresses since they can be reached over the cellular network.

9. Ametz

Ametz Occasional Visitor

That might be true. I cant access any of their domains:

www.myheritage.se
    www.myheritage.com
    www.myheritage.fi
    www.myheritage.no
    www.myheritage.dk
    etc, i cant access anyone at all at my home.

But i can ping it and make a traceroute:

10. Ametz

Ametz Occasional Visitor

If i try to enter their website with their ip only (not url) i get yet another error message:

11. Ametz

Ametz Occasional Visitor

Update:
    There is a lot of websites that is blocked it seems, but it seems to only be secure (htpps) websites (Not all https tho, only very few of them). And When i use an cable directly into the wall it works perfectly, but not thru the router.

Even "COMODO internet security premium 10" can't update its virus list and i can't even access their help forums like this one: https://help.comodo.com/topic-155-1-282-2896-.html

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  12. ColinTaylor

Given that no one else has reported this issue it seems likely this is nothing to do with the router, unless you have installed some custom software (like ad-blocking) that you haven't told us about.

Going directly to the IP address might have given use a clue:
    Untitled.png

Clicking on that link takes us to this page:

Untitled2.png

So it looks like there is a CDN between you and the site. I suggest you talk to your ISP.

13. Ametz

Ametz Occasional Visitor

As i said:
    And When i use an cable directly into the wall it works perfectly, but not thru the router.

14. ColinTaylor

Yes I saw that. But, like I said, no one else has reported this issue. When you plug your computer directly into the wall the MAC address presented to your ISP will be different. So it's likely that you're getting a different IP address. Can you compare your WAN IP address in both configurations?

15. Ametz

Ametz Occasional Visitor

16. Ametz

Ametz Occasional Visitor

Mystery seems to be solved!

Everything seems to work as it should now.

When i changed (WAN):
    UPNP: Allowed internal port range:
    1024 - 65535
    To
    1 - 65535

My Antivirus could update, and all those websites that was blocked before is accessible again.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!