What's new

Rt-n66u: USB/Samba speed test

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

piotrpiano

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,
As I didn't find to much information searching the web as to what kind of speeds I should expect from my rt-n66u running USB samba share, and some reports I managed to find were quite diverse and often lacking important information about connection method, used filesystem etc., I thought it might be a good idea to start one thread here and deal with this subject once and for all... ;)

My test conditions:

-TomatoUSB Shibby 095 AIO firmware on Asus RT-N66U
-Tested on wired and 5Ghz connection (40 Mhz, Auto channel, WPA2-AES, N-only )
-Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN and Realtek PCIe FE Family controller (100 Mbits)
WD 250GB 5200 rpm USB2 hd (usb powered) with ntfs, fat32, ext2 and ext3 partitions
-Wifi performace tested from a distance of 1 meter, clear sight
-Tested with Lan Speed Test (free version) and direct copying of a file measured with Networx Speed Meter
-All tests were repeted 3 times and the result were averaged
-All results given in MB - MegaBytes per sec.

Now to the numbers:

Wifi 5Ghz connection, 118 MB file:

NTFS : write - 1.8 MB read - 4.7 MB
FAT32: write - 3.5 MB read - 6.5 MB
EXT2: write - 3.6 MB read - 6.5 MB
EXT3: write - 3.5 MB read - 6.5 MB

Wifi 5Ghz connection, 20 MB file:

NTFS: write - 1.9 MB read - 6.0 MB
FAT32: write - 3.2 MB read - 6.2 MB
EXT2: write - 3.6 MB read - 6.1 MB
EXT3: write - 3.5 MB read - 6.1 MB

Wired connection, 118 MB file:

NTFS: write - 2.1 MB read - 5.0 MB
FAT32: write - 5.2 MB read - 7.7 MB
EXT2: write - 6.2 MB read - 7.4 MB
EXT3: write - 5.7 MB read - 7.7 MB

Wired connection, 20 MB file:

NTFS: write - 2.4 MB read - 7.7 MB
FAT32: write - 5.2 MB read - 7.7 MB
EXT2: write - 6.3 MB read - 7.6 MB
EXT3: write - 5.9 MB read - 7.6 MB

I actually started this test on an externally powered WD 320GB 7200rpm usb2 hdd but as it is slowly dying, I was just getting stuck on bad sectors. I was however able to get a reliable result on ext3 partition which was 4.7 MB - write and 7.3 - read with 118 MB file over 5 Ghz connection.
I am going to try this test with Asus firmware once I have a moment to flash my router with it.

Please share your results and, when you will, please be specific as to which firmware version you are running, your hdd type (ext.powered/usb powered) and speed, HDD filesystem, connection type.

Cheers,
Piotr

[EDIT]

FWIW, I tested samba share with latest Asus/Merlin build 3.0.0.3.157.12 Beta.

Wifi 5 Ghz, 118 MB file:

NTFS: write - 4.1 MB read - 6.6 MB
FAT32: write - 4.1 MB read - 6.6 MB
EXT3: write - 3.9 MB read - 6.9 MB
EXT2: write - 4.0 MB read - 6.9 MB

Wifi 5Ghz, 20 MB file:

NTFS: write - 4.2 MB read - 6.7 MB
FAT32: write - 4.1 MB read - 6.5 MB
EXT3: write - 3.8 MB read - 6.7 MB
EXT2: write - 4.0 MB read - 6.8 MB

Wired, 118 MB file:

NTFS: write - 6.0 MB read - 6.0 MB
FAT32: write - 5.6 MB read - 6.0 MB
EXT3: write - 5.3 MB read - 6.7 MB
EXT2: write - 5.9 MB read - 6.3 MB

Weired, 20 MB file:

NTFS: write - 5.7 MB read - 6.0 MB
FAT32: write - 5.3 MB read - 5.7 MB
EXT3: write - 5.4 MB read - 6.4 MB
EXT2: write - 5.7 MB read - 6.5 MB

Two things to note:
- on OFW the performance of ntfs is on par with other filesystems - no reason to choose ext over it (performance-wise)
- for some strange reason the performance over wired connection (reading) seems to be worse than over wifi 5Ghz... (?)

Last edited:

Thanks for the link! Very good and thorough review.
Actually I read it a while back but at that time, for some reason, I thought you had been testing it with a LAN network drive...
It's a huge difference in speed you got there, compared to what I saw. I am wondering where is it coming from? I understand that raid setup is faster but should it really matter in such scenario? I mean, I easily get ~30MB/s transfer when I connect my drive to a PC. Differences in firmware maybe? But even using Asus stock fw I don't remember ever reaching more than 7 MB on samba transfer.
Any thoughts anyone?

What's the config of the computer you are testing the wired transfer rate with and does it have a Gigabit NIC?

What's the config of the computer you are testing the wired transfer rate with and does it have a Gigabit NIC?

Not sure what config you particularly have in mind... It's a Toshiba laptop 2Ghz Intel Dual-core running Windows 7 64bit Home Premium with pretty standard configuration.
No unfortunately I don't have a Gigabit NIC on this machine but I don't think that would be the limiting factor in this case... Through ftp connection I was getting 9MB download transfer in the same test (vs max 7.7 with samba).

BTW... Would it be possible to activate the Tapatalk app support for this forum?

You are right. At > 12 MB/s, 100 Mbps Ethernet should be fine. Just note that I do my testing with a Gigabit connected machine. Same machine used for the NAS tests.

Tapatalk... someday when I get some free time maybe.

NTFS write performance will always be much better with Asus's firmware (which uses Paragon's NTFS proprietary driver) versus Tomato or DD-WRT (which use the much slower but open-sourced NTFS-3G driver).

Tomato/DD-WRT users should always go with ext2/ext3 whenever possible.

I would still recommend people used ext2/ext3 whenever possible with Asus's firmware - it's more reliable (and required if you want to use optware).

I have made some tests and the samba performance is similar to outputs like @piotrpiano. Reading ~ ca. 7.5MB/s (WiFi) and 7.5MB/s (Lan).
My configuration is Lenovo G580 W7HP 64bit Intel N-6200 5Ghz USB HDD Ext3 Lan100.

I couldn't accept that WiFi speed = LAN speed. I expected that LAN speed will be ~12MB/s, so I made similar test with my 2nd laptop Dell i7 W7Prof 64bit DW1510 (Broadcom bcm94322) 5Ghz Lan 1Gb/s. And suprise... Wifi ~11MB/s, LAN ~15MB/s.

Next test was mixing WiFi cards and another suprise... Lenovo with Broadcom still running with speed 7.5MB/s, Dell with Intel 6200 still running 11MB/s.

It seems that my poor WiFi/Lan speed on cheap Lenovo is not connected with wifi card but with overall performance of whole system. Maybe the issue is a difference beetwen W7 home premium vs. Proffesional ?

Any ideas to comment that ?

I have actually started another topic with a similar question here:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=11929

Currently running 3.0.0.4.372.31 on the N66U
32 GB Patriot Xporter XT Rage USB flash drive
Gigabit LAN from N66U to PC
Win 7 x64

Speeds are anywhere between 5-6.5 MB/s regardless of the filesystem.

I have a setup where uTorrent is downloading files to my PC and once the download is completed, the file is moved to the USB drive attached to the router. During the PC>N66U USB transfer, the router is unresponsive, cannot reach the admin page, and browsing the drive through the network is nothing short of impossible. I also have a WDTV hardwired to the router, which normally I use to play videos files from the USB storage on the router. During the PC>N66U USB transfer, it is impossible to play anything...

I have installed Win7 64-bit pro.
Now I have got speed USB: 12MB/s on 5Ghz and 11MB/s on LAN100