What's new

RTN-66U on Latest Merlin build - OpenVPN - need help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fearz

Hi,

I was finally able to use OpenVPN from my iPhone to my router using the great merlin latest build, so now my openvpn clients are configured on sub-net 10.8.0.0 however, all my other devices are on 192.168.1.x - I can ping devices from each sub-net successfully, but i cannot discover / broadcast to sub-net 192.168.1.x -

For instance I have an app that i use on my iPhone that probably send out a broadcast to discover the device that my app use, that device is on 192.168.1.x i want to be able to find that device if im connected via VPN...

Currently it doesn't work, it doesn't find the device.

So how can i make both subnets completely connected?

Thank you in advance...

If I understand it correctly, you need a TAP connection to do that, and you have a TUN connection. Android doesn't support TAP. I think there may be a paid app that does it though.

A downside is you have all those messages eating into your data plan.

If you search here you might come across something that rebroadcasts those messages. I've never tried it.

If I understand it correctly, you need a TAP connection to do that, and you have a TUN connection. Android doesn't support TAP. I think there may be a paid app that does it though.

A downside is you have all those messages eating into your data plan.

If you search here you might come across something that rebroadcasts those messages. I've never tried it.

I'm using an iPhone and only TUN is supported, so i need to do my configurations based on that...can you help?

I'd like to know the 'correct' answer to the OP's question too - I couldn't even ping from the VPN-connected machine at 10.8.0.x to the router (192.168.1.x)

I think I have it working now by doing as elorimer suggests and changing the interface from TUN to TAP (don't forget to generate a new config file).

I had hoped that ticking the 'Push LAN to clients' would somehow link the two subnets. I'm reading about WINS servers and wondering if that would have helped. But now it is working I'm reluctant to change too much!

I'm also reading this https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/BridgingAndRouting but I'm not sure I understand the difference yet... early days... hopefully following this forum will help :)

TAP will not work on the iphone :(

Need any help for TUN
I've just added a WINS server and now I can navigate Windows shares on the LAN from my Android phone running OpenVPN on a TUN interface. Hopefully this may help you:
  • in router WebGUI navigate to USB Application | Media Services and Servers | Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk
  • "Set as WINS server" = 'Yes' ( I already had "Enable Share" = 'ON') & Apply
  • navigate to LAN | DHCP Server
  • "WINS Server" = router IP & Apply
When I reverse this change, I can no longer browse Windows shares over the VPN from my phone - disclaimer: I don't really know what I'm doing!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!