What's new

Schlage encode lock disconnecting from XT8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

in2ndo

Regular Contributor
Hello everyone, anybody using a Schlage encode smart lock with a XT8 ? Mine keeps disconnecting every few days. I’m using the router with mostly default settings. So I haven’t separated the 2G from the 5G. Trying to find users of the lock. Before I start changing things around. So that I see if is my router having issues or the lock with the AX connection.
Router is running latest firmware 43181.

Thanks.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Default settings aren't the best choice. See the link above for known/good and best practice defaults.

Separate the bands - known issue with many IoT devices.

Don't wait for another Schlage user to show up (they may!), you need to fix this for your network Wi-Fi environment and mix of client devices.

I do not feel that you need to reset the router. Make sure you are using fixed WIFI channels. Dual Band SmartConnect is OK and works well for me. However, some IoT devices do not like WPA3 or WPA2/WPA3 combo. My way around this is to set up Guest WIFI for the IoT clients and set the Guest to just WPA2. Guest 1 will assign IP addresses different from your LAN and for most IoT clients that is OK. For example, my garage door opener is on Guest 1 and Android app controls it just fine. I also have my Dish box on a Guest as I discovered that the Dish tech could connect to the box remotely without my permission (almost dumped Dish after that).

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Default settings aren't the best choice. See the link above for known/good and best practice defaults.

Separate the bands - known issue with many IoT devices.

Don't wait for another Schlage user to show up (they may!), you need to fix this for your network Wi-Fi environment and mix of client devices.
Thanks for the reply.
Since yesterday I have it connected to my 2G guest network. Since my return window for the lock ends next week. But I would like to make sure if is the lock having an issue with WiFi AX or if is an issue with the hardware in the lock. I can’t just assume that is a WiFi AX issue. Because I could be trying to fix something that is not broken. Most of my devices only work in 2G but only one other has had an issue with the WiFi AX. That is a chamberlain garage opener. So of almost 30 devices. This would be only the 2nd one having an issue with the WiFi AX. If that is the problem. And if i find out that it is a WiFi AX issue. Than I’ll separate the networks. Because I don’t want to keep the lock on my guest network. But if the lock disconnects again. I want to be able to exchange it.

@bbunge, to be blunt: I didn't suggest the router be reset, now. Please read past the link provided.

Guest network 1 or 2 (or 3)?

GN 1 may be the issue here.

Thanks for the reply.
Since yesterday I have it connected to my 2G guest network. Since my return window for the lock ends next week. But I would like to make sure if is the lock having an issue with WiFi AX or if is an issue with the hardware in the lock. I can’t just assume that is a WiFi AX issue. Because I could be trying to fix something that is not broken. Most of my devices only work in 2G but only one other has had an issue with the WiFi AX. That is a chamberlain garage opener. So of almost 30 devices. This would be only the 2nd one having an issue with the WiFi AX. If that is the problem. And if i find out that it is a WiFi AX issue. Than I’ll separate the networks. Because I don’t want to keep the lock on my guest network. But if the lock disconnects again. I want to be able to exchange it.
I did a quick review of the lock specs. Looks like you will be best served to set up 2.4 GHz Guest 2 with a unique SSID and passphrase with WPA2 and Access Intranet Enabled for the lock. This will allow the lock to be controlled by other compatible devices on the LAN.
Oh, if you did not use Quality Brand Name fresh AA batteries in the lock do so.

I did a quick review of the lock specs. Looks like you will be best served to set up 2.4 GHz Guest 2 with a unique SSID and passphrase with WPA2 and Access Intranet Enabled for the lock. This will allow the lock to be controlled by other compatible devices on the LAN.
Oh, if you did not use Quality Brand Name fresh AA batteries in the lock do so.
I went through the specs before purchase. The fact that the lock requires a 2.4G connection. Does not necessarily mean that it won’t work with an AX connection.
and at least the specs that I found on the Schlage website don’t specify that it won’t work with it. Basically I want to avoid assuming that it won’t work with an AX connection. Just because it requires a 2.4G connection. So in other words. I’m trying to find the correct answer to the issue. If it is the AX connection. That is fine. I’ll separate the networks. But not based on an assumption. Because if is a hardware issue in the lock. I’ll need to replace the lock. Anyways. For now I have it connected to my guest network. Since that separates the bands. If it disconnects. I’ll know that something is wrong with the lock. If it doesn’t. I’ll separate the bands and connect it to the 2G. I don’t want it permanently on the guest network. Because that’s where the guest connect to. And I don’t feel that would be as safe or secure.

I went through the specs before purchase. The fact that the lock requires a 2.4G connection. Does not necessarily mean that it won’t work with an AX connection.
and at least the specs that I found on the Schlage website don’t specify that it won’t work with it. Basically I want to avoid assuming that it won’t work with an AX connection. Just because it requires a 2.4G connection. So in other words. I’m trying to find the correct answer to the issue. If it is the AX connection. That is fine. I’ll separate the networks. But not based on an assumption. Because if is a hardware issue in the lock. I’ll need to replace the lock. Anyways. For now I have it connected to my guest network. Since that separates the bands. If it disconnects. I’ll know that something is wrong with the lock. If it doesn’t. I’ll separate the bands and connect it to the 2G. I don’t want it permanently on the guest network. Because that’s where the guest connect to. And I don’t feel that would be as safe or secure.
Read what I wrote. Set up the lock on 2.4 GHz Guest 2. Make sure to give Guest 2 a unique SSID and password. You can use Guest 1 for the guests which will isolate them from the LAN clients and assign them IP addresses in the 192.168.101.0/24 subnet. Putting the lock on Guest 2 will assign it an IP address in the same range as your LAN, 192.168.50.0/24 is default.
It is OK to have multiple Guest WIFI's. The router can do that just fine. No need to separate the bands and give up the AX feature (you will need it in time).

Read what I wrote. Set up the lock on 2.4 GHz Guest 2. Make sure to give Guest 2 a unique SSID and password. You can use Guest 1 for the guests which will isolate them from the LAN clients and assign them IP addresses in the 192.168.101.0/24 subnet. Putting the lock on Guest 2 will assign it an IP address in the same range as your LAN, 192.168.50.0/24 is default.
It is OK to have multiple Guest WIFI's. The router can do that just fine. No need to separate the bands and give up the AX feature (you will need it in time).
So I did what you suggested. Now I’ll just have to wait a few days and see what happens. But also contacted Schlage. According to them. The lock shouldn’t be loosing the connection. Even in the AX network. So they’re going to send me a new one. Let’s see how this one behaves and if it still disconnects. At least I’ll have a new one on the way.

thank you.

So a quick way to go about the Wi-Fi connection issue with Schlage Encode.
  • Check that your Wi-Fi network is set to the 2.4GHz band.
  • Ensure your Wi-Fi network is password protected.
  • Manually enter your Wi-Fi network in the app if your network is hidden.
  • Restore factory default settings on the lock and router to fix any bugs.
The above issues are the most primitive and can easily be fixed without possessing tech knowledge. In case, your problems won't be fixed locksmiths n19 is always available to help you.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!