What's new

Script monitor CPU temp, enable/disable USB ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TomT

Regular Contributor
Hi
I've read various online articles about how you can disable and enable USB ports from the command line in Linux.

Has anyone tried this on an AC68U ?

My CPU temp is around 83c I've plugged in a £5 USB fan and that reduced the temp to 58c.. So was wondering if it would be possible to write a script that ran via a crontab every 15 minutes and checked the CPU temp.

If its over 65 then enable the USB port the fan is in.
If its lower that 60 disable the USB port..

So turning the fan on and off as the CPU temp changes..

Any ideas if this is possible ?

Why not run the fan 24/7?

I work in the same room the router is in and the fan while not loud can be heard..

I would say just turn the fan off while you are in there. The fan is mostly unneeded. Cooler is better for longevity, but these CPUs are made to survive much higher temps for a long time.

One drawback about a fan is that it will force dust into the device which might cause problems.

There was another thread on this exact topic recently, where I posted some links. If you want to find more information, just Google for "Linux disable OR power-off usb", or something like that.

Thanks for the reply.
I've found if the fan is moving the air near to the router, not directly at it, it reduces the temp by a couple of degrees.

I may look look at USB power off and see if it possible.