What's new

System log page auto-refresh hangs browser?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vibroverbus

Regular Contributor
RTAX68U running 388.2.2 at the moment, running various add-ons etc. however this has persisted across many versions and configurations. Client is Windows 11 Chrome, again condition persisting across many versions/updates.

Basically when viewing System Log UI page, it just destroys the browser window. By which I mean the browser window will go unresponsive, CPU cycles go mad, cooling fan comes on full blast pretty quickly. Eventually I will get the "Page is unresponsive do you want to wait" Chrome message. If you do wait it will show up eventually but the CPU still is mad cycling.

If you disable auto-refresh it settles down but sometimes it will take some tries to get a mouse click through whatever crazy loop it is performing. If I have Scribe/uiScribe enabled maybe its slightly worse but not by much. For a while I indeed thought it was Scribe but no even without Scribe if its on auto-refresh the browser window just gets crushed.

Any tips / thoughts? It would be great if there was a way to disable auto-refresh as the default but I dont see one.

Sounds like a PC issue. Try running your browser in "safe" mode without any extensions. Try temporarily disabling your antivirus software.

Sounds like a PC issue. Try running your browser in "safe" mode without any extensions. Try temporarily disabling your antivirus software.
Doubtful. No real AV running (aside from the Microsloth Defender stuff thats built in now), theres an ad-blocker add-in but that's disabled. This never happens elsewhere except the router syslog page. All other UI pages are fine, the 80 gajillion other web pages I go to all are fine.

If you're not willing to try those things the only other thing I can suggest is that you temporarily disable "custom scripts and configs" (Administration - System), reboot the router, and see if it's one of your addons that's causing the problem.

Last edited:
If you're not will to try those things the only other thing I can suggest is that you temporarily disable "custom scripts and configs" (Administration - System), reboot the router, and see if it's one of your addons that's causing the problem.
Man. The attitude around here sometimes aint' fun. Essentially I told you I have tried those things AKA there IS no AV on the PC and I have disabled addons to no effect.

Essentially I told you I have tried those things ...
No, you said you had disabled an ad-blocker extension. That's not the same as running in safe mode. You also said you are using Microsoft Defender but you didn't say that you had tried disabling it.

I'll admit that both of those things are long shots, but it would have been worth a try if only to eliminate them as the cause.

If the log gets very big, it can look like the browser is hanging, I think. Just turn off auto refresh and it won't hang.

If the log gets very big, it can look like the browser is hanging, I think. Just turn off auto refresh and it won't hang.
Yeah thats what I've found, except sometimes you cant get the browser to recognize the click.

Happens to me with some certain pages (skynet, system logs) but not all the time. In fact If a leave the page in this kind of crashed state and then refresh it, it will load correctly. Same crashing page, if I try opening it using Edge browser , it will open without issues.

Happens to me with some certain pages (skynet, system logs) but not all the time. In fact If a leave the page in this kind of crashed state and then refresh it, it will load correctly. Same crashing page, if I try opening it using Edge browser , it will open without issues.
Thanks for info Yiannis. I stopped using non-Chrome browsers years ago but what the heck I'll give it a try maybe Edge will be my dedicated Merlin browser LOL

Edge is chromium based.

OK I think I finally figured this out. For some reason once in a while the scribe install gets F-d up in the background and this is not always apparent.

Then something about the scribe/uiscribe causes some kind of race or loop hang to the browser.

After reinstalling scribe/uiscribe it sorts it right out. Why from time to time my scribe gets borked I dont know I'm just going to guess some Entware update hiccup or something...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!