What's new

Setting up 50Mbps wireless network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bandzai

New Around Here
Hi,

I've got a problem setting up a wireless network to work at 50Mbps. My ISP limits my network upload and download speed to 50Mbps. That is what I get when I test my connection with speedtest.net. When I test the same on wireless connection to my router, I get max ~32Mbps download and ~36Mbps upload speed at various settings, but not at the same time e.g. it may be 32 down, but only 15 up, and other way around. I would like to achieve the same speed on the wireless as on the cable.

My hardware:
Intel® WiFi Link 5300 AGN
Driver Date 2012.01.22
Driver Version 14.3.2.1
Alienware M17 R1 laptop with Win 7 Professional

Linksys E3200 router
Firmware Version:*1.0.03

Router according to marketing is supposed to have Simultaneous Dual-Band N (2.4 & 5 GHz) and up to 300 + 300 Mbps.

For example I've tried these settings:
When connected wirelessly on 5,2GHz band 300Mbps.
Network card properties:
802.11n Channel Width for band 2.4 - 20MHz Only
802.11n Channel Width for band 5.2 - Auto (I get only 20Mhz Only or Auto options)
802.11n Mode - Enabled
Preferred Band - 3. Prefer 5.2GHz band
Roaming Aggressiveness - Medium
Throughput Enhacement - Enabled
Transmit Power - 5. Highest
Wireless Mode - 6. 802.11a/b/g

My results on speedtest.net were 32,81 Mbps download and 15,00 Mbps upload.

Am I missing something in the settings, or is my Intel® WiFi Link 5300 AGN a bottleneck in current situation?

Would DDWRT on E3200 give me more options regarding speed setup?

Thank you in advance for any advice or help. Much appreciated.

You didn't say at what range you are conducting these tests. Are there also any other active wireless networks in range?

I've tried both, 2,4 and 5,2Ghz, if that is what you are asking.

Yes there are neighbor networks. One 5/5, one 4/5, couple of 3/5, and seven more of 1/5 signal strength.

Am I doomed because of my neighbors, or is there anything I could still do to achieve 50Mbps on wireless?

Thanks.

No, I meant how physically close to the router are you making your measurement? And over what area (sq feet or square meters) and what building construction material are you expecting 50 Mbps performance?

You have that many active networks in the 5 GHz band? Wireless bandwidth is a shared medium. If you have a lot of activity on the channel you are trying to use, it will reduce your bandwidth.

Ah, sorry, misunderstood the question. The router is an inch from my laptop. I would be happy and understand if the speed drops with the distance or obstacles. Just the gap between theoretical 300Mbps + 300Mbps and practical 30Mbps is too big. There must be something wrong in settup, or I dont understand something.

I don't think all of the networks are in 5,2Ghz. What is the best way to check it? Should I use some kind of specific software for that? I did not manage to disable 2,4Ghz network on my card, as it has only options of 20Hz Only or Auto.

What I did was to hover mouse over SSID in network connections and out of top 6 networks 5 are 802.11n and one 802.11g.

Last edited:
WiFi Scouting

Install inSSIDer to see what networks are operating in your area. If your adapter is only 2.4Ghz that is all you will see.

The software is free, however, they do offer advanced products that will allow you sniff out other sources of interference besides nearby WiFi.

Install inSSIDer to see what networks are operating in your area. If your adapter is only 2.4Ghz that is all you will see.

The software is free, however, they do offer advanced products that will allow you sniff out other sources of interference besides nearby WiFi.

Thank you, downloading inSSIDer now.

Separate laptop and router by at least 10 feet. You are very likely overloading the receivers by having them too close. This will reduce throughput.

Ok, I've moved the router 2m away from laptop. It's a small flat, so it is not likely it would be much further in any case.

I've also noticed two more settings which I have been ignoring previously. Do not know if they are important or relevant:

Fat Channel Intolerant - currently set to Disabled.
Mixed Mode Protection - currently set to CTS-to-self Enabled. Possible another option - RTS/CTS Enabled.

Currently, when connected at 5GHz I get 18,33Mbps down and 10,5Mbps up.Here is screenshot of inSSIDer. My network is the yellow one "Area52-5"
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Ol76xmg1XK1R0P80x5CyqLq6nBZpoO4lb1hpTwFkxYU?feat=directlink

When connected to 2,4Ghz I get 21,29Mbps down and 30,05 up.Here is screenshot of inSSIDer. My network is the yellow one "Area52"
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Mt_wrrQNbHPScstUDeEeWrq6nBZpoO4lb1hpTwFkxYU?feat=directlink

Tested again using cable going directly to modem bypassing the router - got 50,46Mbps down and 49,90Mbps up.

How is it possible that on 5GHz with almost no other networks nearby my throughput is worse than on overused 2,4GHz with quite a few strong signals coming from neighbours?

Last edited:
don't know why you get poor 5GHz throughput other than receiver overload (too strong) or faulty hardware or badly designed hardware (on either end).

Note that the mere existence of neighbors' WiFi means nothing. It's only important if the USE a lot of air-time. And, in 2.4Ghz, if their channel is within 3 of yours. If so, move.