What's new

Simplest way to set up VLANs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cyanara

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm trying to work out the best way to separate a home and B&B with VLANs so that they are not a threat to each other but can both access the (PPPoE or IPoE) broadband connection.

Currently there is a standard home wireless router. The home uses wireless and ethernet, and the B&B is connected by ethernet and Ubiquiti antennas.

Obviously I'd like to do this with as few devices as possible to reduce cost and potential points of failure. Since almost any home wireless router can handle PPPoE/IPoE, wireless, and ethernet switching, finding one that also does local VLANs would be the dream. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like such a thing exists (please prove me wrong).

And because of that, it feels like I have to immediately go to three devices instead, which is just over the top:

PPPoE/IPoE router -> VLAN switch -> Wireless access point

Does anyone know of any wireless routers that also do VLANs? Alternatively, are there any affordable routers that will combine the PPPoE/IPoE router and VLAN switch roles?

Thanks

I've since discovered the ASUS BRT-AC828. It's an impressively comprehensive package, albeit with a hefty price tag.

Depends on what you're comfortable with. The WAN and LAN ports on most router's are just one switch seperated by VLANing. Using a firmware like OpenWRT lets you completely reconfigure the switch ports. Each port can be a completely separate network or you can join any number in a VLAN. This is all configurable via the web interface (Luci) or command line.

I've done this specifically for isolating and firewalling hotspot devices and seperating wireless networks.

In combination with coovachilli and a radius accounting system like radiusdesk, you can implement time limited ticketing and bandwidth restrictions.

In its most basic form you could seperate off a port and firewall it how you please.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk