What's new

SIX months since Merlin included updated Asus GPL - what's cooking at Asus ???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to think third party firmware options are fading away, unfortunately. OpenWRT, FreshTomato - only on older model routers. Asuswrt-Merlin - the only option for Asus routers from now on. I don't know what level of support @Voxel gets from Netgear, if any.
I’m not likely to buy another all-in-one WiFi router again. I will do a separate wired x86 or RPi router with a modern Linux kernel, and a WiFi access point which can have all the proprietary WiFi drivers it wants. As consumer broadband speeds increase, the all-in-one paradigm shows its limitations. At least for power users.

I'm starting to think that Asus is doing some sort of overhaul to the firmware itself as well as adding cake to adaptive QoS on supported model, but they can't tell is yet because it's not finished and we have to wait.

That's just my theory.
Don't bet anything on that theory... First, because Asus already gave an explanation:

Also, because unfinished projects are simply developed in a separate branch that's not part of the bundled GPL anyway. That's why for instance 386_5xxxx (RC3) has the new VPN client UI, but 386_45xxx (RC2) does not. That's how Git works.

I see. Why allow someone to add features if we can sell another router to customer? Business.
And thats why ASUS is smart, Business :)

Take the edge where you can! So many compagny need to learn.
Thats why I switched to ASUS from netgear BTW, and yes I was a loyal customer because NETGEAR have very well build home router.
In facts, the best in the business.

Someone in ASUS does very well his job, I mean I have so many examples why ASUS is smarter than NETGEAR.
The addition of Wireguard, the fact you can install any VPN provider, open source, ect etc... Where NETGEAR hahah a joke! You need to buy a specific VPN provider!

ASUS need to add VLAN and YazFi to there firmwares, and they should take all customers from the VPN industry!! $$$$$$$
BTW if you guys look for a VPN provider you have 3 good chooses. Windscribe, IVPN, Mullvad, the rest is bought by a single person (Taddy Sagi)

Last edited:
There were legal concerns for the previous GPL and we were asked to remove them.
We build a new process to solve the legal issues in the past months. The new GPL for AX and AC models are under review.
If there are no other new issues, we will release the new GPL.

As the OP of this thread - may I respectfully request @thiggins or @RMerlin that the thread be closed now.
My question has received as much of a response as we are likely to get from Asus on the cause of the delays.
It is encouraging to note that the commitment to supply new GPL remains ... so we must simply hang in there and enjoy the uptime :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.