What's new

Slow speeds and lag on new Asus 86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The genuine Intel AX200 (not the 201 variant that needs chipset support from the laptop computer you're installing it on) is a great upgrade for about $20.

The Asus adaptors all seem to be an improvement over what customers already had. USB vs. PCI isn't really the 'issue', it is how many antennae and how positionable they are that matters. ;)

The Asus USB-AC68 Dual Band Wireless AC1900 USB3.0 Wi-Fi Adapter (Part Number USB-AC68) is highly regarded by many, particularly when used for both a desktop and a laptop too, when on the go.

The Asus PCE-AC56 Dual-band Wireless-AC1300 PCI-E Adapter (Part Number PCE-AC56) is very good and the magnetic base is handy to position the antennae as optimally as possible.

The Asus PCE-AC88 4x4 Wireless-AC3100 PCIe Card (Part Number PCE-AC88) can be a good choice too for maximum throughput and minimal latency, although very expensive (I'd rather buy an RT-AC3100 or an RT-AX58U and use it in Bridge mode near the computer(s) instead (when they go on sale). :)

Depending on your budget, I would still recommend a full 'router' used in Bridge mode over the PCE adaptors above. More stable (both the connections and the computers) and more versatile too as your devices and needs change. :)

Thanks for the great information!

I'm a bit confused by "I would still recommend a full 'router' used in Bridge mode over the PCE adaptors above." Do you mean plugging a router into my pc and using it as a wifi adapter to connect to my 86U?

The PCE-AC56 looks pretty nice though, definitely keeping that on my list.

Yes, basically using a router as an adaptor for one or more wired devices. :)

By using the LAN port on the client devices, and depending on the router used in Bridge mode, it can even put the PCE-AC56 to shame.

It should. :)

Awesome! As a bit of a side question, does it matter which PCI slot a wifi adapter is in? My GPU is blocking my x1 slot so I'm using another x16 slot on the bottom of my motherboard. It's an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4-M.

Shouldn't matter, but I would experiment, if you can. ;)

There is a new Asus firmware version that came out this week that has better QOS and game settings. Flash the Asus firmware, factory reset, configure, use the gui to check for the new firmware. Set QOS manual and start with 95% of download and 90% of upload. Have a try with the game settings, too.
If you do not need the media server or samba server then them off. Wifi set 2.4 to 20 mhz 1, 6 or 11. 5 GHZ try on ch 36.

What exactly did they change in qos and game settings?

These are my settings atm. Is everything in check? I also disabled roaming assistant for 5ghz. It changed to channel 48 though. With the channel it put me on I seem to get about 40mbps less download speed. The only reason I wouldn't believe it's the cable is because I've been able to hit max speeds on my iphone in the same room as my pc. Maybe it's an issue with my wifi adapter as well?

Turn off DFS channels on 5ghz, lots of devices wont find channels in that spectrum (chromecast, my lg tv for an example).

Also test the speed on just the Virgin modem with the 86u disconnected then you can rule out the provider as the issue.

AS someone who lives in the UK i know how badly they overcrowd people on cabinets which runs fine until a crisis where everyone is using the internet...

I can't believe noone has suggested testing modem speed first to rule this out as its likely to be the leading cause?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!