What's new

Slow speedtest results on router compare to LAN clients

MadChorus

New Around Here
Hi There.

After several years with NetGear and DD-WRT, I am so glad to come back to the Asus Routers and Merlin.
I recently got the AX88U connected to a 1gb up/down fiber connection. Of course, as soon as I got the router I immediately
installed the Asuswrt-Merlin build and started tinkering with it.

One of the first things I did is speed test using the spdMerlin script. I immediately noticed that the speed is lower than usual:


Latency: 1.03 ms (0.89 ms jitter)
Download: 389.80 Mbps (data used: 382.9 MB)
Upload: 424.54 Mbps (data used: 396.0 MB)
Packet Loss: 0.0%
I thought it might have to do with QOS settings (probably not, because it is directly on the router), so turn on and off just for the sake of testing
but the same results.

I sshed to my ubuntu machine (connected to the router over ethernet cable) and tested the speed again using speedtest-cli:

Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 619.04 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 359.20 Mbit/s
I am going to ignore for now the fact that both are nowhere near the promised 1gb up/down speed (with the dd-wrt I used to get 750mbit/500mbit).

For a start, I was wondering if anyone has any idea why the client yields a much faster result than the router itself? could it be because of the hw specs
of the Linux server compare to the router?

Appreciate it if anyone has any ideas of how/where I should look into to get to the bottom of this issue.

Thanks,
MC
 

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
From the first post of spdMerlin:

spdMerlin uses SpeedTest CLI
If the speeds from this utility are significantly lower than those you see from the desktop app/browser test, the limiting factor will be your router's CPU. That being said, there is probably room for improvement/optimisation by the Ookla team in the CLI binary itself. Please direct feedback about speed issues to Ookla via the above link. There is nothing that I can do about them.
Running on the router itself also cannot fully leverage hardware acceleration for the test.

I'm very interested to see what Asus say/do for this with their speedtest in the 386 beta firmware...
 

amplatfus

Senior Member
Same issue on my site with RT AC88U. Max speed: D 341; U 369. From my clients on LAN, CAT 5e cable: D 924; U: 824.
I will direct feedback about speed issues to Ookla.

Thank you!
 

Attachments

Ronald Schwerer

Very Senior Member
I didn't notice this issue until I updated to 1Gb fiber. I'm getting similar slow speed reports on the router and expected (close enough) throughput on the clients. I previously had a 100Mb down and 10Mb up connection and always got the expected speeds (or better) on both router and client tests.
I had used the Ookla binaries in my own script to run the test on the 68U router every hour and post the results in the system log. I stopped testing on the router. It's a waste of CPU cycles generating meaningless statistics.
 

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top