What's new

SMB2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

clvk07

I disable SMB1 in windows, enable smb2 in the router AC88U but cant map the drive, any additional step required?

Restart the PC so it forgets about the router being an SMB1-only server.

I confirm that on Windows 10 client if SMB1 is disabled I cannot see my NAS and my router in network folder. Both router and NAS are with latest SMB.

I confirm that on Windows 10 client if SMB1 is disabled I cannot see my NAS and my router in network folder. Both router and NAS are with latest SMB.
Yes. That's what's meant to happen. Network "browsing" is a function of SMB1 only.

Yes. That's what's meant to happen. Network "browsing" is a function of SMB1 only.

Using windows 10 too. If I have enabled SMB1 I can map the drive. If I disable SMB1 in programes features can not map the drive. ( USB attached drive to Asus router). Just going into PC and Map drive \\192.168.1.1\touro

Is there a different way to map drives If SMB1 is disabled?

That's what I did in Windows 8.1 and it worked with no problems.

I tried windows 8.1 Pro still no joy. same with windows 10 Pro. If I try to map the drive I noticed this in the log

Aug 7 18:52:23 smbd[2164]: init_smb_request: invalid wct number 255 (size 112)
Aug 7 18:52:30 smbd[2170]: [2017/08/07 18:52:30.153829, 0] smbd/process.c:525(init_smb_request)
Aug 7 18:52:30 smbd[2170]: init_smb_request: invalid wct number 255 (size 112)
Aug 7 18:52:51 smbd[2268]: [2017/08/07 18:52:51.051172, 0] smbd/process.c:525(init_smb_request)
Aug 7 18:52:51 smbd[2268]: init_smb_request: invalid wct number 255 (size 112)
Aug 7 18:53:14 smbd[2295]: [2017/08/07 18:53:14.467392, 0] smbd/process.c:525(init_smb_request)

Enabling back SMB1 in program features fixes the issue

Sorry, I can't reproduce the error here. I've just tried it with a Windows 10 VM and it worked on there as well. But then I'm using John's fork on a AC68U so there are probably differences between our Samba setups.

Presumably you've tried rebooting the router?

Can you also post a copy of your /etc/smb.conf

Yes rebooted both PCs and Router. Yes different setups AC88U with latest Merlin...

Code:
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = Skynet
server string = Skynet
unix charset = UTF8
display charset = UTF8
log file = /var/log.samba
log level = 0
max log size = 5
security = SHARE
guest only = yes
encrypt passwords = yes
pam password change = no
null passwords = yes
max protocol = SMB2
passdb backend = smbpasswd
smb encrypt = disabled
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
enable core files = no
deadtime = 30
load printers = no
min receivefile size = 16384
force directory mode = 0777
force create mode = 0777
force create mode = 0777
max connections = 5
socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_
obey pam restrictions = no
disable spoolss = yes
host msdfs = no
strict allocate = No
bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = lo br0 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
use sendfile = yes
wins support = yes
map archive = no
map hidden = no
map read only = no
map system = no
store dos attributes = yes
dos filemode = yes
oplocks = yes
level2 oplocks = yes
kernel oplocks = no
wide links = no
[optware]
comment = Generic Flash Disk's optware
veto files = /.__*.txt*/asusware*/asus_lighttpdpasswd/
path = /tmp/mnt/optware
writeable = yes
dos filetimes = yes
fake directory create times = yes
[TOURO]
comment = HGST 's TOURO
veto files = /.__*.txt*/asusware*/asus_lighttpdpasswd/
path = /tmp/mnt/TOURO
writeable = yes
dos filetimes = yes
fake directory create times = yes

I can't see anything obviously out of place. Try turning off the WINS server (because you almost certainly don't need it) and disabling guest access. See if that makes a difference.

P.S. I notice that you have a duplicated "force create mode = 0777" and that the end of the "socket options" line is truncated. I'm assuming that's a copy/paste error on your part?

I can't see anything obviously out of place. Try turning off the WINS server (because you almost certainly don't need it) and disabling guest access. See if that makes a difference.

P.S. I notice that you have a duplicated "force create mode = 0777" and that the end of the "socket options" line is truncated. I'm assuming that's a copy/paste error on your part?

Yes it is a typo................ :) :)

Disabled Guest share and WINS no joy...

Oh well. I guess we'll have to wait for someone with the same hardware/firmware to try it to see if it's a bug or something specific to you.

This looks like a permissions problem....and Merlin didn't pick up the same changes from ASUS I did for guest access (@ColinTaylor - the same change that caused access problems on my fork if you changed your router username). If using guest access, try making a /jffs/scripts/smb.postconf with the following contents (replace the 'admin' in
'guest account = admin' with your new router username if you changed it).
Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh

pc_insert "guest only = yes" "guest ok = yes" $CONFIG
pc_insert "guest only = yes" "map to guest = Bad Password" $CONFIG
pc_insert "guest only = yes" "guest account = admin" $CONFIG
pc_insert "guest only = yes" "auth methods = guest" $CONFIG
pc_delete "guest only = yes" $CONFIG
pc_delete "security = SHARE" $CONFIG

exit

If this is the case, why I am able to see other Windows PCs in my network? With SMB1 client disabled on "browsing" PC I can see other PCs, but not the router and NAS ....

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!