What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - v4.x - speedtest and bandwidth monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Note, you should go Nuclear after flashing the firmware you want to use. Not before.

Is the AX88U on the develop branch and the AX86U on the stable branch of spdMerlin?
I’ve not checked it yet but I suspect you’re right! I must stop testing late at night when my brain stops working!

Have had this happen for the second time now....I have my wan and a VPN connection that I let spdmerlin test....

Mar 29 18:42:01 RT-AX86U-B330 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using using auto-selected server for WAN interface
Mar 29 18:42:31 RT-AX86U-B330 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 669.05 Mbps (data used: 674.2 MB) - Upload: 470.43 Mbps (data used: 776.9 MB)
Mar 29 18:42:31 RT-AX86U-B330 spdMerlin: Connection quality - Latency: 2.10 ms (0.32 ms jitter) - Packet Loss: Not available.
Mar 29 18:42:31 RT-AX86U-B330 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using using auto-selected server for VPNC3 interface
Mar 29 18:49:59 RT-AX86U-B330 hostapd: eth7: STA c6:1f:98:97:ae:c9 IEEE 802.11: associated

You can see where the results for the VPN didn't happen.....and when that happens, it doesn't log anything for both tests....

View attachment 32542

I appreciate that it couldn't save anything for the VPNC3, but why didn't it save the result for the WAN?

And, any idea why it may not have completed for the vpn without any kind of messaging / errors thrown up in the log?

Quick update, the next run completed successfully, and after it had, the result was showing for 18:42 for WAN, with the VPN basically showing an hour gap between tests.
Hi,

I was just wondering is you have chose something special to obtain that download speed.
With a AX88U I saw only maximum 570 down/ 750 up, even the speedtest.net with the same server/ router but from Laptop using LAN we have >900 down > 900 up.

And I saw that AX86U have similar HW compared with AX88U.

Thank you,
amplatfus

Hi,

I was just wondering is you have chose something special to obtain that download speed.
With a AX88U I saw only maximum 570 down/ 750 up, even the speedtest.net with the same server/ router but from Laptop using LAN we have >900 down > 900 up.

And I saw that AX86U have similar HW compared with AX88U.

Thank you,
amplatfus

Not doing anything special in my setup... As to what my setup is, I've got the 4 LAN ports filled, typically run between 33 to 40 total assets (WiFi and LAN), vpn client with 2 IPs locked to the vpn....scripts are diversion, skynet, scribe, x3mRouting, nsrum, spdMerlin, uiDivStats, uiScribe, Vnstat. On a "max speed" fibre connection which is 1 gb down, some limit up, and my area is pushing how faster speed fibre connections and the speed demon in me wants to get it, but the cost is still a bit too much and my actual usage profile doesn't come close to justifying it. Plus, the only greater than 1 gig port I own is the 2.5 on the back of the router....

Anyone on develop, please note if you update today the WebUI saving/loading mechanism (particularly for scheduling) will probably be broken. My advice? Ignore develop changes/updates until further notice

Anyone on develop, please note if you update today the WebUI saving/loading mechanism (particularly for scheduling) will probably be broken. My advice? Ignore develop changes/updates until further notice

So you're saying you dangling with an 4.2.0 update in front of me, saying I can't have it. Well, now, that's, ehrm...

Why did I have to hit the update button?

WebUI updates have now been pushed. Due to a typo in a commit earlier today, please check that your cron job shows:
Code:
/jffs/scripts/spdmerlin
and not
Code:
/jffs/scripts/spdMerlin

If it does, run:
Code:
cru d spdMerlin && spdmerlin
to correct it

Jack Yaz: Sorry if I'm a bit slow, but am I correct if I state that v4.1.2 hasn't moved to stable branch (yet), even though you published 4.2.0 on develop. meaning I'm staying automatically on the v4.1.2 from develop branch for now and/or that now you fixed the typo I can also decide to stick with the develop branch and safely update to v4.2.0? The webUI shows an update, but amtm does not and I don't even know how to switch back from develop to stable.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Marco

Jack Yaz: Sorry if I'm a bit slow, but am I correct if I state that v4.1.2 hasn't moved to stable branch (yet), even though you published 4.2.0 on develop. meaning I'm staying automatically on the v4.1.2 from develop branch for now and/or that now you fixed the typo I can also decide to stick with the develop branch and safely update to v4.2.0? The webUI shows an update, but amtm does not and I don't even know how to switch back from develop to stable.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Marco
amtm will show you versions/minor updates on the stable (master, in Github terms) branch only.
when you're on the develop branch, the WebUI and CLI menus with the "check for updates" options will check for the latest code available on develop at that time. v4.2.0 is getting closer to being "stable" so now is a good time to update

if you want to revert to stable, in an SSH connection to the router type
Code:
spdmerlin stable

Reactions: MvW
v4.2.0 is now available
Changelog:

• NEW: Configurable number of speedtests for AutoBW bandwidth calculations
  • NEW: Logarithmic scale option for charts
  • NEW: CLI menu shows URL for WebUI page
  • NEW: CLI commands for "about" and "help"
  • NEW: spdMerlin can now exclude tests from TraditionalQoS and CakeQoS
  • NEW: CLI menu option to reset databases
  • FIXED: Restart firewall and QoS (AutoBW)
  • FIXED: Correctly display preferred servers in WebUI
  • IMPROVED: Stale/long-running processes are cleaned up
  • IMPROVED: Improved handling of speedtest failures
  • IMPROVED: Ensure that Exclude from QoS is enabled if AutoBW is enabled
  • IMPROVED: Scheduling of automatic speedtests is now much more flexible. NOTE: Your previous schedule will be lost when upgrading.
  • IMPROVED: Update function now includes a prompt rather than applying update
  • IMPROVED: Use colours in CLI menu to highlight settings
  • IMPROVED: Use of jQuery to load WebUI dependency files
  • CHANGED: NTP timeout increased to 10 minutes
  • CHANGED: Cookie expiry for collapsed sections in WebUI increased from 31 days to 10 years

Last edited:
Any explanation on how "Schedule for automatic speedtests" works?

For example, If I wanted to run a speedtest 4x day (every 6 hours), would Hours be:
Custom
"6" or "0,6,12,18" or something else?

Thanks

PS: Thanks for these updates Jack

Last edited:
Not sure if this is bug or by design based on settings, but

"Exclude speedtests from QoS"

Is not selectable for me (grayed out).

An observation. When it does the Speedtests it seems that it restart the QoS too (I'm using flexqos) and because of that it wipes my torrent port forwarding. Is it supposed to be like that? Or no? I am using autoBW and the exclude from Qos option. Thanks!

Not sure if this is bug or by design based on settings, but

"Exclude speedtests from QoS"

Is not selectable for me (grayed out).
Do you have AutoBW enabled?

IMPROVED: Ensure that Exclude from QoS is enabled if AutoBW is enabled

An observation. When it does the Speedtests it seems that it restart the QoS too (I'm using flexqos) and because of that it wipes my torrent port forwarding. Is it supposed to be like that? Or no? I am using autoBW and the exclude from Qos option. Thanks!
If a new bandwidth is set then the firewall and qos are both restarted.

Any explanation on how "Schedule for automatic speedtests" works?

For example, If I wanted to run a speedtest 4x day (every 6 hours), would Hours be:
Custom
"6" or "0,6,12,18" or something else?

Thanks

PS: Thanks for these updates Jack
I hopefully left some help text if you hover over the hours/minutes text when custom is selected, but its basically cron syntax. The "every x" option set to every 6 hours would do what you want.

All is back in green again. Me so happy! And so is my OCD :D

Thanks for you hard work, Jack. You've been busy lately.

Does this mean that every script where I was on develop branch now has automagically returned to the stable branch?

Schermafbeelding 2021-04-07 075748.png

All is back in green again. Me so happy! And so is my OCD :D

Thanks for you hard work, Jack. You've been busy lately.

Does this mean that every script where I was on develop branch now has automagically returned to the stable branch?

View attachment 32883
I worked extra hard to get spdMerlin stable again, it was overdue. Correct, I set the script version on develop to master/stable so when you update you are automatically move back to stable. You can switch to develop again but it will still be master as I'm not intending on making any changes for a while. On to my next script.... This is almost a full time job!