What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - v4.x - speedtest and bandwidth monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Updated today and works great. Thank you!
One low priority you might wish to check is Download Data unit parsing - I have a feeling that when it shows 1.1 it is gigabytes recalling my past runs from cmd line.

View attachment 27880
very possible! i don;t have gigabit so didn't know what data usage would do at higher ends :D I assume it reports it as GB in the text output of speedtest?

very possible! i don;t have gigabit so didn't know what data usage would do at higher ends :D I assume it reports it as GB in the text output of speedtest?
Yes indeed, after a few command line runs got that:
Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Mauritius Telecom Ltd - London (id = 17418)
ISP: BT
Latency: 4.09 ms (0.90 ms jitter)
Download: 777.55 Mbps (data used: 1.1 GB)
Upload: 111.12 Mbps (data used: 88.9 MB)
Packet Loss: 3.6%

not good that you're seeing packet loss :eek:
Yes that surprised me too - that was one off from Windows client rather than from router and only then it went up in data usage. On router there was no packet loss.
Maybe running Ookla CLI too many times in the row one after another, like 10

Yes that surprised me too - that was one off from Windows client rather than from router and only then it went up in data usage. On router there was no packet loss.
Maybe running Ookla CLI too many times in the row one after another, like 10
possibly! at least with Asus baking ookla into the firmware, they should be aware of increased speedtest from asus routers which will be far beyond the audience spdmerlin had

possibly! at least with Asus baking ookla into the firmware, they should be aware of increased speedtest from asus routers which will be far beyond the audience spdmerlin had
Well not easily reproducible, only in demo conditions (isn't it always the case?) - it is back to normal.
Thanks to your other fantastic tool one can see something naughty happened at 1pm - unless it is me taking whole BT infrastructure down with ten Ookla CLI tests ;)
ping.png

The ping is to 31.55.185.xyz, which is some BT UK gateway cluster (first pingable hop number 4 skipping cabinets, exchanges).
Lots of forums highlight its very unstable ping nature, which is what I have also observed.
I should have stayed with Zen. Oh well. Next year.

good stuff. in the meantime I've found and squashed the bug so other upgraders won't run into this
zippitydoodah, never thought I'd be an exterminator's assistant :p

@Jack Yaz I am seeing "grep: /jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/config: No such file or directory" coming up on the CLI menu. Tried a UF and full install. Haven't done a uninstall yet though.

1606150442337.png

weird. can you check the contents of /opt/share/spdmerlin.d ?
if there's a config file, please post contents
No folder there...
1606155864938.png

Then I'm confused as the config file should have been populated in jffs if missing completely. I'll take a look around
what do you get for
Code:
ls -la /jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d
I'm wondering if the config file is corrupt, somehow

Hi Jack Yaz - nice little add-on !!! Just installed v4 (never had any version before) and looking thru the options in the RT-AC68U add-on area I saw there is the option for Data Storage location to select USB. I checked this, clicked save and then apply and ran a test. Output still went to /opt/share/spdmerlin.d/. Am I missing something obvious? I was kinda thinking it would end up in /mnt/ext4/spdmerlin.d/. Does spdmerin.d need to already exist?

Hi Jack Yaz - nice little add-on !!! Just installed v4 (never had any version before) and looking thru the options in the RT-AC68U add-on area I saw there is the option for Data Storage location to select USB. I checked this, clicked save and then apply and ran a test. Output still went to /opt/share/spdmerlin.d/. Am I missing something obvious? I was kinda thinking it would end up in /mnt/ext4/spdmerlin.d/. Does spdmerin.d need to already exist?
/opt is entware so that's on your USB :)

duh - thanks

bizarre. when you launch spdmerlin it should check for the config file in USB, if its not there assume jffs:

Code:
if [ -f "/opt/share/$SCRIPT_NAME_LOWER.d/config" ]; then
    SCRIPT_CONF="/opt/share/$SCRIPT_NAME_LOWER.d/config"
    SCRIPT_STORAGE_DIR="/opt/share/$SCRIPT_NAME_LOWER.d"
else
    SCRIPT_CONF="/jffs/addons/$SCRIPT_NAME_LOWER.d/config"
    SCRIPT_STORAGE_DIR="/jffs/addons/$SCRIPT_NAME_LOWER.d"
fi
then it moves on to Conf_Exists, which does
Code:
if [ -f "$SCRIPT_CONF" ]; then
 : # do stuff if config file exists
    else
        { echo "PREFERREDSERVER_WAN=0|None configured"; echo "USEPREFERRED_WAN=false"; echo "AUTOMATED=true" ; echo "SCHEDULESTART=0" ; echo "SCHEDULEEND=23"; echo "MINUTE=12"; echo "TESTFREQUENCY=halfhourly"; echo "OUTPUTDATAMODE=raw"; echo "OUTPUTTIMEMODE=unix"; echo "STORAGELOCATION=jffs"; } >> "$SCRIPT_CONF"
        for index in 1 2 3 4 5; do
            { echo "PREFERREDSERVER_VPNC$index=0|None configured"; echo "USEPREFERRED_VPNC$index=false"; } >> "$SCRIPT_CONF"
        done
        { echo "AUTOBW_ENABLED=false"; echo "AUTOBW_SF_DOWN=95"; echo "AUTOBW_SF_UP=95"; echo "AUTOBW_ULIMIT_DOWN=0"; echo "AUTOBW_LLIMIT_DOWN=0"; echo "AUTOBW_ULIMIT_UP=0"; echo "AUTOBW_LLIMIT_UP=0"; echo "STORERESULTURL=false"; echo "EXCLUDEFROMQOS=true"; } >> "$SCRIPT_CONF"
        return 1
    fi
so since your file doesn't exist, the defaults should be echo'd into it

bizarre. when you launch spdmerlin it should check for the config file in USB, if its not there assume jffs:

Code:
if [ -f "/opt/share/$SCRIPT_NAME_LOWER.d/config" ]; then
    SCRIPT_CONF="/opt/share/$SCRIPT_NAME_LOWER.d/config"
    SCRIPT_STORAGE_DIR="/opt/share/$SCRIPT_NAME_LOWER.d"
else
    SCRIPT_CONF="/jffs/addons/$SCRIPT_NAME_LOWER.d/config"
    SCRIPT_STORAGE_DIR="/jffs/addons/$SCRIPT_NAME_LOWER.d"
fi
then it moves on to Conf_Exists, which does
Code:
if [ -f "$SCRIPT_CONF" ]; then
: # do stuff if config file exists
    else
        { echo "PREFERREDSERVER_WAN=0|None configured"; echo "USEPREFERRED_WAN=false"; echo "AUTOMATED=true" ; echo "SCHEDULESTART=0" ; echo "SCHEDULEEND=23"; echo "MINUTE=12"; echo "TESTFREQUENCY=halfhourly"; echo "OUTPUTDATAMODE=raw"; echo "OUTPUTTIMEMODE=unix"; echo "STORAGELOCATION=jffs"; } >> "$SCRIPT_CONF"
        for index in 1 2 3 4 5; do
            { echo "PREFERREDSERVER_VPNC$index=0|None configured"; echo "USEPREFERRED_VPNC$index=false"; } >> "$SCRIPT_CONF"
        done
        { echo "AUTOBW_ENABLED=false"; echo "AUTOBW_SF_DOWN=95"; echo "AUTOBW_SF_UP=95"; echo "AUTOBW_ULIMIT_DOWN=0"; echo "AUTOBW_LLIMIT_DOWN=0"; echo "AUTOBW_ULIMIT_UP=0"; echo "AUTOBW_LLIMIT_UP=0"; echo "STORERESULTURL=false"; echo "EXCLUDEFROMQOS=true"; } >> "$SCRIPT_CONF"
        return 1
    fi
so since your file doesn't exist, the defaults should be echo'd into it
That is weird...your code looks to have the autobw as 95 up and down but yet mine shows..
1606161772965.png