What's new

Squid Proxy server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Andrew911tt

Occasional Visitor
I would like to set up a Proxy server for a friend in Mexico so that he can use American services. I have an Ubuntu box that I use as a openVPN server for other uses and would like to run Squid Proxy on it. I have use Squid proxy many times on a local network, but i have never used it as a eternal server. Can someone please help me with the Config file so that I can make this work.

I am not sure where I should start

Any help would be useful

Thanks

I would like to set up a Proxy server for a friend in Mexico so that he can use American services. I have an Ubuntu box that I use as a openVPN server for other uses and would like to run Squid Proxy on it. I have use Squid proxy many times on a local network, but i have never used it as a eternal server. Can someone please help me with the Config file so that I can make this work.

I am not sure where I should start

Any help would be useful

Thanks

I haven't done this, I do use Squid under pfSense, the router distro. And if I was going to try this, I wouldn't start with my Squid configuration, I'd start with my router.

Squid defaults to port 3128. So, you need to set up port forwarding, router rules, that routes traffic from your external IP on a port ( recommend against opening 3128 ) to the machine that is running Squid and its' port.

Rule would look like:

Action: PASS
Interface: WAN
Proto: TCP
Source: <Friends IP> Port: 8099 (any obscure number)
Destination: LAN ADDR 192.168.42.100 ( your Squid Machine ) Port: 3128

For testing initially try a source IP of Any, then narrow it down.

Try that first.

Hope this helps.

Hadn't considered OpenVPN. Thanks.

Squid also provides for authentication including LDAP, Local, Radius, and NT Domain. You'll need a Auth Server, but this could be another option.

Also, you'll need to disable X-Forward, so your Hispanic friend will be using your IP, not his. In squid.conf set "forward_for" to "off".
To conceal the use of a proxy, set "via" to "off", and "httpd_suppress_version_string" to "on".

You may also need to change your allow networks ( again I have tried this, so I'm not sure ).

With Joe's writeup, and the details here, you should be able to get started.

Don't hesitate to ask for further assistance.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!