What's new

SSH connection stops working after ~12h to Asus RT-AX86U -router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pena

New Around Here
SSH works as it should for approximately 12h which after the router gives me "kex_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer". When I change any setting in the router via the WebGUI and press apply, SSH works again for 12h. The SSH timeout is set to 0 (disabled). There seems to be something that timeouts the SSH and resets on setting changes.
Is there any fix for this issue? Or can I set some automatic script that changes a setting every 12h so that SSH keeps working continuously?

I have the Asuswrt integration in Home Assistant which require continuous SSH connection.

Router: Asus RT-AX86U
Firmware: Asuswrt Merlin 388.1

Make sure you don`t have something constantly hammering the SSH port with invalid credentials, causing that IP to get blocked.

Make sure you don`t have something constantly hammering the SSH port with invalid credentials, causing that IP to get blocked.
That shouldn't be an issue, because after the 12h window I can't access the router via SSH with any device.

That shouldn't be an issue, because after the 12h window I can't access the router via SSH with any device.

Are you attempting to stay connected constantly for 12 hours?

I recognized the issue with Home Assistant Asuswrt integration. I don't know if it is constantly connected.
If it is staying connected constantly there may be either a memory leak or a security feature that is killing it. If it is exactly 12 hours I would guess maybe key rollover or just a time limit. Create a script to bounce the ssh daemon every 11 hours or so and you should be good (assuming home assistant can auto reconnect).

Last edited:
If it is staying connected constantly there may be either a memory leak or a security feature that is killing it. If it is exactly 12 hours I would guess maybe key rollover or just a time limit. Create a script to bounce the ssh daemon every 11 hours or so and you should be good (assuming home assistant can auto reconnect).
How do I do that?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!