What's new

Stubby-Installer-Asuswrt-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stubby has been working fine for me here. Have not had to make a single change to it since the days before the script made it to AMTM (whew, remember those??) other than going along with the usual installer updates or other ones that have been announced since. I have updated Skynet/Diversion and others in the menu, and made changes to their settings multiple times but have not come across a single Stubby issue that may have been as result of those changes.

IMHO, ever since the script made it to AMTM or perhaps even earlier when @Adamm and @Xentrk began their collaboration, Stubby has become the only script that I no longer touch or feel the need to make tweaks to it anymore. Every once in a while I run certain commands to make sure it is working and so far it has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stubby has been working fine for me here. Have not had to make a single change to it since the days before the script made it to AMTM (whew, remember those??) other than going along with the usual installer updates or other ones that have been announced since. I have updated Skynet/Diversion and others in the menu, and made changes to their settings multiple times but have not come across a single Stubby issue that may have been as result of those changes.

IMHO, ever since the script made it to AMTM or perhaps even earlier when @Adamm and @Xentrk began their collaboration, Stubby has become the only script that I no longer touch or feel the need to make tweaks to it anymore. Every once in a while I run certain commands to make sure it is working and so far it has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 :D:cool:

Hours of hard work from both @Xentrk and myself have gone into this script, we do this in our free time and ask nothing in return beyond a smile and a positive attitude. ".

Yup, I know about hours of hard work on open source projects. I've been doing documentation and testing on a Linux open source project for a lot of years. Although not a coder I have figured out some issues and recommended changes to get problems fixed across several distros and versions. Am frustrated that I've had failures since mid January with Stubby and corrupt EXT file systems on my USB drives even on a brand new SanDIsk Ultra with the USB3 port set to USB2. The latest when I did all the format and installs from amtm.
Oh, I was also an early tester for Xentrk on his stubby install. Am also running John's fork on two AC68U's which have the prior version of stubby and getdns. Both of those run like a champ!

Stubby Flow (not to be confused with Jabba Flow)
DNS client > {LAN port 53} > dnsmasq > {LAN port 5453} > stubby > {WAN port 853}

Verify stubby configuration
Code:
/opt/sbin/stubby -i
{output of all settings}
Result: Config file syntax is valid.

Restart stubby with logging
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S61stubby stop
nohup /opt/sbin/stubby -C /opt/etc/stubby/stubby.yml -g -l >/opt/var/log/stubby.log 2>&1 &

Yup, I know about hours of hard work on open source projects. I've been doing documentation and testing on a Linux open source project for a lot of years. Although not a coder I have figured out some issues and recommended changes to get problems fixed across several distros and versions. Am frustrated that I've had failures since mid January with Stubby and corrupt EXT file systems on my USB drives even on a brand new SanDIsk Ultra with the USB3 port set to USB2. The latest when I did all the format and installs from amtm.
Oh, I was also an early tester for Xentrk on his stubby install. Am also running John's fork on two AC68U's which have the prior version of stubby and getdns. Both of those run like a champ!
Sometimes drive corruption is caused by poor unmount of the drive itself during reboot. I have an ugly reboot script that I run to reboot my AC3100, so far no issues and always has a clean disk check log. Let me know if you want it. Hope I can help somehow, can't stand throwing great drives away.:)

Stubby Flow (not to be confused with Jabba Flow)
DNS client > {LAN port 53} > dnsmasq > {LAN port 5453} > stubby > {WAN port 853}

Verify stubby configuration
Code:
/opt/sbin/stubby -i
{output of all settings}
Result: Config file syntax is valid.

Restart stubby with logging
Code:
nohup /opt/sbin/stubby -C /opt/etc/stubby/stubby.yml -g -l >/opt/var/log/stubby.log 2>&1 &
Ah! Stubby logging that works!
Why not add to post-mount
Code:
sleep 5

or is there a better way? can just errors be logged?

Edit: Just log errors:
Code:
nohup /opt/sbin/stubby -C /opt/etc/stubby/stubby.yml -g -v 3 >/opt/var/log/stubby.log 2>&1 &

Sometimes drive corruption is caused by poor unmount of the drive itself during reboot. I have an ugly reboot script that I run to reboot my AC3100, so far no issues and always has a clean disk check log. Let me know if you want it. Hope I can help somehow, can't stand throwing great drives away.:)
I just reformat them. Have an old PNY 2 GB that just refuses to die. About the only thumbdrive I've had fail was a brand new PNY USB3 64 GB and that was replaced under warranty. I gave it away...
Would be glad to have your script. Put it in a message PM) to me.

Ah! Stubby logging that works!
Why not add to post-mount
Code:
sleep 5

or is there a better way? can just errors be logged?

Edit: Just log errors:
Code:
nohup /opt/sbin/stubby -C /opt/etc/stubby/stubby.yml -g -v 3 >/opt/var/log/stubby.log 2>&1 &
I actually added the stubby restart to services-start
Code:
# cat /jffs/scripts/services-start
#!/bin/sh
#
/usr/sbin/cru d SaveSystemTime
/usr/sbin/cru a SaveSystemTime "0 * * * * /opt/bin/fake-hwclock"
#
cd /tmp
umask 133
mydatestring=`date +%Y%m%d_%H%M_%S`
mydir="/opt/var/log"
myfile="stubby"
myext="log"
myoldfile="${mydir}/${myfile}_${mydatestring}.${myext}"
mynewfile="${mydir}/${myfile}.${myext}"
mv ${mynewfile} ${myoldfile}
cp /tmp/mnt/smb/share/backup/stubby.yml.minimal /opt/etc/stubby/stubby.yml
export TZ=$(cat /etc/TZ)
/usr/bin/logger -t stubby -p local6.info "start Stubby DNS over TLS $0"
#
Yes, you can just log errors if you experiment with the logging levels.
Code:
-l      Enable logging of all logs (same as -v 7)
-v      Specify logging level (overrides -l option). Values are
                0: EMERG  - System is unusable
                1: ALERT  - Action must be taken immediately
                2: CRIT   - Critical conditions
                3: ERROR  - Error conditions
                4: WARN   - Warning conditions
                5: NOTICE - Normal, but significant, condition
                6: INFO   - Informational message
                7: DEBUG  - Debug-level message

I have the same issue, and I'm neither using network monitoring nor Skynet.
When you install and reboot is your log filled with "NTP" entries?

What have you got for webui config on system tab in the time section. It should say something like pool.ntp.org. When installing, you should see in the ssh terminal an entry that says.
Code:
server=pool.ntp.org/1.1.1.1
Do you see it being added?

Had not restarted my router since redoing Stubby on a fresh USB EXT2 format thumb drive two days ago. Had switched to Quad9 resolvers and restarted Stubby with a script so I can capture the log. Here is the contents of my restart-stubby script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

cat /opt/var/log/stubby.log >> /opt/var/log/stubby.save

I unmounted the USB drives and rebooted the router with no issues. I also call the restart-stubby script from post-mount to capture anything in the stubby.log.
For the devs: I tried to edit the ARGS= in S61stubby to enable the log but it did not work. Will try later to look into how John's fork enables the log.

What have you got for webui config on system tab in the time section. It should say something like pool.ntp.org. When installing, you should see in the ssh terminal an entry that says.
Code:
server=pool.ntp.org/1.1.1.1
Do you see it being added?
I can’t verify that currently. I should be able to, tomorrow.

In m
Can you elaborate further on "NTP entries" (a log snippet would be ideal). Stubby requires NTP to be working correctly before starting up.
in my case the ntp server is unreachable according to the logs I do t have specifics currently. I will get them.

Hello,

Can you guys make stubby update the ipv6 dns address on the ipv6 main page, every time that the internet connects?

Hq80LJA.png

I mean here /\ because as you can see its different! And it changes every time that i restart the router or connect o the internet... The reason why i am getting a different ipv6 prefix from my isp every time that i connect my internet is unknown to me! This started to happen, a few days ago when my isp migrate me from one of their gateways\routers to another one, since i complained that i was having to much packet loss.

Idk if i should say anything to my isp, i mean about the ipv6 prefix changing every time i connect? Should i?

@Xentrk

Last edited:
Had not restarted my router since redoing Stubby on a fresh USB EXT2 format thumb drive two days ago. Had switched to Quad9 resolvers and restarted Stubby with a script so I can capture the log. Here is the contents of my restart-stubby script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

cat /opt/var/log/stubby.log >> /opt/var/log/stubby.save

I unmounted the USB drives and rebooted the router with no issues. I also call the restart-stubby script from post-mount to capture anything in the stubby.log.
For the devs: I tried to edit the ARGS= in S61stubby to enable the log but it did not work. Will try later to look into how John's fork enables the log.
S61stubby calls rc.func which is hard coded to throw it away. Perhaps a proper daemon would open a file on its own without relying upon standard error. But that is where it stands.
Code:
$PREARGS $PROC $ARGS > /dev/null 2>&1 &
I had originally attempted to use services.start to restart stubby but this did not work. Services-start is way too early. The only approach I can rely upon is to name my script /opt/etc/init.d/S62mystubby
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
cd /tmp
umask 133
mydatestring=`date +%Y%m%d_%H%M_%S`
mydir="/opt/var/log"
myfile="stubby"
myext="log"
myoldfile="${mydir}/${myfile}_${mydatestring}.${myext}"
mynewfile="${mydir}/${myfile}.${myext}"
mv ${mynewfile} ${myoldfile}
cp /opt/etc/stubby/stubby.yml.minimal /opt/etc/stubby/stubby.yml
export TZ=$(cat /etc/TZ)
/usr/bin/logger -t S62mystubby -p local6.info "$1 Stubby DNS over TLS $0"
#
Also, I had been attempting to copy my custom stubby.yml from a secondary partition. But I cannot count on it being mounted, so I moved my custom stubby.yml to the entware partition.

Can you elaborate further on "NTP entries" (a log snippet would be ideal). Stubby requires NTP to be working correctly before starting up.
I wasn't thinking of that, but yeah that's also true for me. It can't resolve the hostname of the ntp server, which is probably why it won't start.

I tried switching to a local ntp server within the config file and now it works through every single reboot I've tested. A glitch with ntp.pool.org?

I wasn't thinking of that, but yeah that's also true for me. It can't resolve the hostname of the ntp server, which is probably why it won't start.

I tried switching to a local ntp server within the config file and now it works through every single reboot I've tested. A glitch with ntp.pool.org?
Try adding the following line to /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf.add:

server=/pool.ntp.org/1.1.1.1
This will allow NTP server DNS resolution before Stubby is fully functional.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!