What's new

CT8/AC3000 and ASUSWRT?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TwoWheels

New Around Here
I am relatively new to the world of ASUS, having bought a set of used XT8's and a separate used ET8. The XT8's came with Gnuton firmware on them, which is how I discovered ASUS WRT.

Now I'm adding a used CT8 to my aiMesh (The ET8 is fantastically flakey and probably defective no matter what firmware I put on it.).

I realize the CT8 is EOL, but should I just run ASUS firmware 3.0.0.4.386.47399, or is there something better? As best I can tell, Gnuton does not support the CT8/AC3000. Is there another branch of ASUSWRT-MERLIN that does?

I apologize for my imperfect grasp of all this new vocabulary, but hopefully the question makes sense.

Thanks!

Dave

I am relatively new to the world of ASUS, having bought a set of used XT8's and a separate used ET8. The XT8's came with Gnuton firmware on them, which is how I discovered ASUS WRT.

Now I'm adding a used CT8 to my aiMesh (The ET8 is fantastically flakey and probably defective no matter what firmware I put on it.).

I realize the CT8 is EOL, but should I just run ASUS firmware 3.0.0.4.386.47399, or is there something better? As best I can tell, Gnuton does not support the CT8/AC3000. Is there another branch of ASUSWRT-MERLIN that does?

I apologize for my imperfect grasp of all this new vocabulary, but hopefully the question makes sense.

Thanks!

Dave
PS: I use wired backhaul ;)

Welcome to the forums @TwoWheels.

When used as a wired node, it shouldn't matter what you run (as long as AiMesh is at the same level).

Use, and reboot to use again, as necessary.

Afaik, there are no other RMerlin forks (at least, not officially).

The XT8's came with Gnuton firmware on them, which is how I discovered ASUS WRT.

Asuswrt is the stock firmware. Asuswrt-Merlin is the custom firmware. GNUton firmware is Asuswrt-Merlin fork.

This mix and match of different generation routers running different firmware (386 and 388 base) may not produce the results you expect.

Asuswrt is the stock firmware. Asuswrt-Merlin is the custom firmware. GNUton firmware is Asuswrt-Merlin fork.

This mix and match of different generation routers running different firmware (386 and 388 base) may not produce the results you expect.
Is there A CHANCE it will produce the results I expect (i.e. - work)? are there known issues/incompatibilties for this use case?

Yes, there is a chance. But, you have to actually test it fully and properly in your environment to know.

XT8s created a lot of trouble for the users. CT8s were never popular around here. Single ET8 is useless in your case. Asuswrt-Merlin and forks don't improve anything AiMesh, it's closed source. In my experience AiMesh works better on stock Asuswrt firmware. Different models all "AiMesh compatible" is mostly marketing with YMMV meaning. AiMesh works better with wired backhaul. It also works better with all the same model routers. Plan B is main unit in Router mode + all the rest in AP mode. It works better with more user control. The whole AiMesh is mostly marketing. In reality wired access points and wireless repeaters. What it does best is selling more Asus routers.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!