What's new

subnets cannot access the internet with Orbi RBK50

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eak

Occasional Visitor
I recently changed my router to a Netgear Orbi RBK50 with the latest firmware.
The LAN address of the router is 192.168.1.1 and things on the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet can access the internet just fine.
On the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet is a box that forwards packets to another subnet, 192.168.2.0/24. The devices on that subnet could access the internet with the old router. They no longer can with the Orbi. I did install a static route in the Orbi giving the gateway address of the box that forwards packets between the two subnets. The 192.168.2.0/24 subnet can ping 192.168.1.1, so the static route is working. I cannot tell whether the Orbi forwards the packets on to the internet and drops replies that comes back in, or whether it is just dropping them.

Basically this seems like a fairly broken piece of equipment if it cannot handle multiple subnets.

Can anyone suggest a way to resolve the problem? Is Netgear really this broken?

I should add that Netgear was not helpful at all. Their tech didn't understand IPv4 routing. After an hour he or she finally consulted a "higher tier" and reported back, "As I consult this to the higher tier they said that this kind of setup would not work with the Orbi router it's a product limitation." I find it hard to believe that Netgear doesn't understand subnets, but their own support says so.

If you have ACL on your router firewall open up the additional networks to the internet. I have to this with my layer 3 switch as all my networks are not defined to the router as the layer 3 switch controls all my networks. My router only has 1 network defined. The router just opens and shuts the door for the internet at my house. As my layer 3 switch controls all the local networks.

you might try putting "this other box" IP address into the DMZ of the Orbi router and see if this doesn't anything different. What is this other box? Another router?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!