What's new

Suggestion: Ability to specify DNS servers per VPN Client on the router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

torstein

Like the title says, if one could specify the VPN-service's own DNS servers directly on the VPN Client settings page on the router, instead of under DHCP-settings which Mullvad requires, then my other devices which are not going through the VPN tunnel on the home network wouldn't be forced to use Mullvad DNS, only the one computer as specified under VPN Director. According to Mullvad Support you can't specify one set of DNS for one computer and other DNs servers for the rest, it's one DNS for everything. Sadly. Me and @eibgrad tried everything to circumvent that in this thread to no prevail.

I read the "FAQ Read me before you post" and under "Will you add XYZ feature" RMerling explains why he most likely won't. So this is not a feature-request per se, just a suggestion that would make VPN client life more easy :) I hope it gets imlemented one day.

A big caveat here that needs to be restated.

In your last post on that other thread, despite my recommendations, you stated that it "Leaked everything". Presumably, you were using standard online leak testing tools. But as I stated in a prior post, I don't care what those tools are reporting. They are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to the router. The ***ONLY*** thing that actually tells you w/ 100% accuracy whether or not you have a DNS leak is connection tracking! If you monitor connection tracking and all you see are port 53 connections being routed over the VPN for those clients bound to the VPN, it's case closed, despite whatever these other tools are telling you to the contrary.

AFAICT, my suggestions about how you should have been able to prevent DNS leaks, should have worked. And I have a strong suspicion they *are* working, but it's the leak testing tools that are leading you astray. Of course, I could be wrong. I'm not there in person to observe exactly what you did. I have to rely on what you "tell" me you did. But I've seen this type of misunderstanding about DNS leaks over and over again.

P.S. In the following link, I explain how to use connection tracking for these purposes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!