What's new

Swapped in a new cable modem. Can't load websites now. DNS setting where?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

abc5

Occasional Visitor
ac68u on firmware 384.18. hard coded DNS in the WAN tab. all was fine until I just got a new broadband modem.

so, removed the old one.

connected and powered up the new one, powered back up the Asus.

Asus, appears to have obtained an IP from the new modem, and it seems to be the SAME IP as the modem replaced, no issue here

I cannot resolve any websites, so it behaves like i have no connectivity.

command line from PC, the nslookup command cant resolve.

(when I plug a PC 'direct via lan cable' to the new modem, I see the modem IP as my gateway, see the two assigned DNS, and pc web browsing works fine).

in the asus router WAN, I had always pre-defined two DNS servers.

"connect to DNS server automatically" is essentially buttoned NO.

I toggled it ON to see if Asus would get DNS assignments...... from the new modem....

Where in the Asus interface can I verify what DNS servers have been auto assigned?

nslookup is still not working and I still can't hit websites.

Attachments

• wan_dns_auto.JPG
    wan_dns_auto.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 98
Network Map. Click on the "Internet status:" globe and a panel will open on the right with the DNS information.

ah thankyou.

2 IPs listed for DNS, came from the broadband provider. can't ping either one though.

can however, ping the gateway IP, aka the IP of the broadband modem.

Power down your modem, router, and all other network infrastructure for at least 10 - 20 minutes (I prefer an hour to not have to do it again from the start).

Power on the modem and wait for the connection to the ISP to be stable/active.

Power on the router and the rest of your network infrastructure (switches, wired client devices, NAS, etc.).

What is needed here (I am guessing) is that the ISP needs to 'see' the new modem and correctly add it to your account.

Network Map. Click on the "Internet status:" globe and a panel will open on the right with the DNS information.

In internet status, mostly out of curiousity... there is 'wan IP' and "'gateway".

their IPs are different. I thought if, wanIP would be the IP of the broadband modem.... then what is the gateway IP referring to?

Did you activate the modem?
If not you may be at the walled garden.

Yep, used a website of the broadband carrier to activate the modem.

hardwiring a computer to the modem, instead of the asus router... and the computer can fully web browse.

In internet status, mostly out of curiousity... there is 'wan IP' and "'gateway".

their IPs are different. I thought if, wanIP would be the IP of the broadband modem.... then what is the gateway IP referring to?
No they will be different. One is the IP address of your router's WAN interface and the other is the address of your ISP's gateway router that you are connecting through.

Yep, used a website of the broadband carrier to activate the modem.

hardwiring a computer to the modem, instead of the asus router... and the computer can fully web browse.
OK so now anytime you change the connection like from modem to PC or modem to router you must reboot the modem so it releases the attached MAC and obtains the new MAC.
Most ISP allow only one device MAC attached to the modem and that is the first device MAC the modem sees after booting.

Last edited:
No they will be different. One is the IP address of your router's WAN interface and the other is the address of your ISP's gateway router that you are connecting through.
oh okay... wan interface is IP assigned by broadband provider's modem to the asus router, but it's the asus' wan side interface.

the other, the gateway IP... is the IP of the broadband router?

Not usually. Usually the cable modem is a transparent bridge so the gateway address is that of some piece of infrastructure equipment on your ISP's network.

oh okay... wan interface is IP assigned by broadband provider's modem to the asus router, but it's the asus' wan side interface.

If by gateway you're referring to your Broadband modem, then yes, the gateway IP = IP assigned by ISP. Your ASUS Router's IP will be the same if referring to WAN IP, and different from your Modem if referring to your LAN IPs.

OK so now anytime you change the connection like from modem to PC or modem to router you must reboot the modem so it releases the attached MAC and obtains the new MAC.
Most ISP allow only one device MAC attached to the modem and that is the first device MAC the modem sees after booting.

Yep no problem... about a hour ago I revisited attaching a PC to their modem... pc got an iP from modem, got DNs servers (they weren't pingable) and I was able to get internet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!