What's new

System Log - does not stay cleared after a reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bruce_H

Occasional Visitor
I am running 384.5 on a RT-AC68, and I have noticed that if I clear the system log and then reboot the router there are still old entries in the system log, some of them going back months ago. I am clearing the log using the "Clear" button at the bottom of the system log page. Am I doing some thing wrong or is this expected behavior. This issue has been present all the way back to the 380 firmware, when I upgrade to the 384 firmware I did a full reset of the router and manually reconfigured all of my settings. It appeared that the problem was gone but I noticed that at some point it has reappeared again.

When you clear the log and reboot the router the first entries in the new log will have an old timestamp. This is because the router doesn't have a battery-backed clock. So this is normal, it's the router's default date and time. Only after the router has connected to the internet can it obtain the correct date and time with which to update itself.

That makes sense for the really old entries, but why would there be dates from yesterday in the log after I cleared it. When I look at the dates I see the following dates in this order, Feb 14, Apr 26, Feb 13, May 12 and all of May 13! Is it possible that the dates are result of the time that it takes to sync clock to the current date, or is there a backup copy of the log files that is being restored on reboot.

That works, I still get the entries with the wrong timestamp during the boot process, but all of the entries from the prior days are now gone (I did save a copy just in case). It would appear that there is a slight flaw in the logic that clears the log when you click the clear button! Hopefully it will get fixed at some point.

Thanks to all that replied.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!