What's new

The State of the Onion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for the recap and outlook @RMerlin, it brought a tear to my eye ;)
For those of us still around - welcome to a brand new year. It'll be good, I'm sure of it.

Happy New Year and many thanks @RMerlin . Given how 2020 turned out, having this forum, your evolving firmware releases and the great addons the many talented developers have created helped more than you folks know.
Let's look forward to a better 2021!

First,really appreciated for your incredible efforts on both supported asus models .
Second,don't leave AC88U behind on updating;)
Third,glad 2020 had passed,wish you guys all the best in 2021.

Happy New Year everyone! Thanks for all you do, not just @RMerlin, but everyone who helps make this forum more than a place to learn about our routers. As crazy as this year as been I for one saw 2020 as a year where the Merlin Community grew closer together for the betterment of our routers. We welcomed a lot of new comers (first time posters) this year thanks to so many having to work from home. Thanks again and here's hoping 2021 and beyond is better! @thiggins @Adamm @thelonelycoder @dave14305 @Jack Yaz @Xentrk (if I missed someone I apologize, it wasn't intentional.)

Being British the coolest thing is Merlin being called Merlin. We love the lore in my house. Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2021.

Dear Eric, thank you very much for your brilliant work that keeps me with Asus since 2013! Wish to you and to your family a very Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year! The annual donation sent just now :) Cheers!

Things have been very frustrating at times.
Haven't they! But I always appreciate your reports and your comments to others on this forum. It is refreshing to see such clarity of expression, with correct spelling and syntax, and even the technical units properly abbreviated. Keep up the good work on BOTH fronts!

Fist, Happy New Year; Second, Thanks for all your hard work; Third, lets hope 2021 is better than the year previously.

Unfortunately, being 2021 is not good enough... not as far as the pandemic is concerned. Both the US and Canada are fumbling the vaccine rollout. At current rates, we won't be celebrating until 2022, if we make it until then.

Happy New Year everyone! Hold your line until summer or later.

OE
I just got off an hour-long Signal video call with a former college classmate in Brasil - POA, and it's exactly the same there.
Everyone has high hopes for improvements over last year on the first day of this year, but this year has another 360-some days to go yet, and if the leadership and guidance and results of the last 250+ days have been any indication, I have doubts any significant changes will come before the next time we wish each other happy new year again.

I just got off an hour-long Signal video call with a former college classmate in Brasil - POA, and it's exactly the same there.
Everyone has high hopes for improvements over last year on the first day of this year, but this year has another 360-some days to go yet, and if the leadership and guidance and results of the last 250+ days have been any indication, I have doubts any significant changes will come before the next time we wish each other happy new year again.

Plus Brazil has to wait two more years until their next presidential election.

OE

A donation is just that, some cash, but is there anything else we can do for you RMerlin which cash can't solve?

How about...

cbb4d36d4c32fbdd690abf14af3ab069.gif

A donation is just that, some cash, but is there anything else we can do for you RMerlin which cash can't solve?

Providing end-user support on the forums here is probably the best thing non-developers can contribute at the moment.

Eventually maybe having a small group of bug triagers would also help, if I ever decided to try to put some serious efforts into cleaning up the Github issue tracker. Someone is currently having a try at it, I am still debating what to do with that issue tracker. Biggest issue is the large number of people confusing support requests with bug reports.

Wishing all of SNB members, contributors, and guests and very happy New Year.

Thank you to @RMerlin and all the other power hitters here on this forum for the help they have given so many others (including myself).

I finally made the jump to Merlin last year after needing a feature that did not exist in the regular stock firmware (internet usage - rstat). Jump forward a few months and I can't believe the stuff that my 86U is now doing (diversion, handling DNS for my lab AD, NUT, SoftEther VPN as a solution being behind a GCNAT, Speedtesting, etc.).

It has been a challenging year. Even through I have been fortunate enough to have a job considered essential, I like others, have lost family, and friends without being able to attend their final send off. I have also had to say goodbye to friends that lost their fight against Covid. Still, I am very aware that many others have it far worse than I, and many others are still facing uncertain times.

Here is wishing the this year will bring a little more "normal" to our lives - whatever normal is.

Cheers all.

That has to be the slickest, sweetest, and smoothest onion that I've ever cried over. Had to be a Vidalia. I am so thankful that you peeled it.

Joking aside, I really appreciate you and your work, as well as all the other folks that have a part in it.

Ya'll have made it a safer, swifter, sophisticated, and more secure environment for me and my family, as well as the countless others worldwide.

And we have had some fun and frustrations along the way. You are special people.
Thanks again,
jts

Great update, my friend. Be well!

Thanks for the update Eric. You are doing a great job!. Now you have a line of firmware solidly positioned into supporting the more modern line of routers from ASUS. Moreover, you have generated through the years a community of fans and enthusiasts around here that will follow and use your work and help with development and test whenever possible. This well deserves all of our admiration and gratitute.