What's new

[Thread-1] [ 386.1_Alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Device list is finally working with latest commits .

I updated to the new 386 alphas in the following order (all wired connections, AiMesh nodes via unmanaged tp-link 1 GB switch):
  1. (2) RT-AX58U AiMesh nodes from Merlin 384.19 to ASUS RC2-7 386_40577
  2. RT-AX88U to Merlin 386.1_alpha2 (disabled fq_codel prior to upgrade)
PHENOMENAL results! I am able to broadcast guest network, which is something that I have needed to do for "forever". New subnet (separate from primary network) automatically created in background. Thanks @RMerlin for your persistence!

VPN servers and clients came back up with no issue. Locking wifi devices to a particular node works. Continuing to test...

Last edited:
Dirty upgrade to my RT-AX88U from 384.19_0 (since December of 2019...).

Usual steps:
  • Safely remove USB drives (via the GUI, but not physically)
  • Flash RMerlin firmware I want to use/test
  • After at least 15 minutes I rebooted the router.
  • After an additional 60 minutes or more, I reboot the router one last time.
Since there was no corresponding Alpha firmware for the RT-AX58U (still using 384.19_0) I use in AiMesh mode, I simply reset the 'AX58U via the WPS method, flashed the new Alpha to the 'AX88U, and then re-added the node.

Random observational notes:

The first time after flashing the router it took over 7 minutes for the network to come 'up'. Even when I was able to enter via the GUI, the WAN was showing as disconnected and the USB drive was showing as unmounted for another minute or two.

All the scripts seem to be working! From amtm and from within the GUI too.

Within half an hour, RAM usage down to 47MB free (normal). Swap file usage 14.73MB (normal).

Browsing seems exceptionally faster (wired desktop) between 386.1 Alpha 2, chronyd, and unbound.

Edit: except for ChannelHog. @Adamm, I know this isn't critical, but just bringing it to your attention for completeness.

Code:
############################################################################################################
#                                                                                                          #
#           ██████╗██╗  ██╗ █████╗ ███╗   ██╗███╗   ██╗███████╗██╗     ██╗  ██╗ ██████╗  ██████╗           #
#          ██╔════╝██║  ██║██╔══██╗████╗  ██║████╗  ██║██╔════╝██║     ██║  ██║██╔═══██╗██╔════╝           #
#          ██║     ███████║███████║██╔██╗ ██║██╔██╗ ██║█████╗  ██║     ███████║██║   ██║██║  ███╗          #
#          ██║     ██╔══██║██╔══██║██║╚██╗██║██║╚██╗██║██╔══╝  ██║     ██╔══██║██║   ██║██║   ██║          #
#          ╚██████╗██║  ██║██║  ██║██║ ╚████║██║ ╚████║███████╗███████╗██║  ██║╚██████╔╝╚██████╔╝          #
#           ╚═════╝╚═╝  ╚═╝╚═╝  ╚═╝╚═╝  ╚═══╝╚═╝  ╚═══╝╚══════╝╚══════╝╚═╝  ╚═╝ ╚═════╝  ╚═════╝           #
#                                                                                                          #
#                          Monitor And Force Maximum 5GHz Bandwidth For Asus Routers                       #
#                                  By Adamm - https://github.com/Adamm00                                   #
#                                           09/10/2020 - v1.0.1                                            #
############################################################################################################

Select Menu Option:
[1]  --> Start ChannelHog
[2]  --> Check Channel Bandwidth
[3]  --> Temporarily Disable ChannelHog
[4]  --> Update ChannelHog
[5]  --> Install ChannelHog
[6]  --> Uninstall

[e]  --> Exit Menu

[1-6]: 2

wl: wl driver adapter not found
ChannelHog: [*]  Channel Width Detected - Restarting 5GHz Radio

[i] Press Enter To Continue...

Usual steps:
Since there was no corresponding Alpha firmware for the RT-AX58U (still using 384.19_0) I use in AiMesh mode, I simply reset the 'AX58U via the WPS method, flashed the new Alpha to the 'AX88U, and then re-added the node.

The first time after flashing the router it took over 7 minutes for the network to come 'up'. Even when I was able to enter via the GUI, the WAN was showing as disconnected and the USB drive was showing as unmounted for another minute or two.

Within half an hour, RAM usage down to 47MB free (normal). Swap file usage 14.73MB (normal).

Browsing seems exceptionally faster (wired desktop) between 386.1 Alpha 2, chronyd, and unbound.

Edit: except for ChannelHog. @Adamm, I know this isn't critical, but just bringing it to your attention for completeness.

Code:
#           ██████╗██╗  ██╗ █████╗ ███╗   ██╗███╗   ██╗███████╗██╗     ██╗  ██╗ ██████╗  ██████╗           #
#          ██╔════╝██║  ██║██╔══██╗████╗  ██║████╗  ██║██╔════╝██║     ██║  ██║██╔═══██╗██╔════╝           #
#          ██║     ███████║███████║██╔██╗ ██║██╔██╗ ██║█████╗  ██║     ███████║██║   ██║██║  ███╗          #
#          ██║     ██╔══██║██╔══██║██║╚██╗██║██║╚██╗██║██╔══╝  ██║     ██╔══██║██║   ██║██║   ██║          #
#          ╚██████╗██║  ██║██║  ██║██║ ╚████║██║ ╚████║███████╗███████╗██║  ██║╚██████╔╝╚██████╔╝          #
#           ╚═════╝╚═╝  ╚═╝╚═╝  ╚═╝╚═╝  ╚═══╝╚═╝  ╚═══╝╚══════╝╚══════╝╚═╝  ╚═╝ ╚═════╝  ╚═════╝           #
#                          Monitor And Force Maximum 5GHz Bandwidth For Asus Routers                       #
#                                  By Adamm - https://github.com/Adamm00                                   #
#                                           09/10/2020 - v1.0.1                                            #

Select Menu Option:
[6]  --> Uninstall

[e]  --> Exit Menu

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
Other than the occasional miss fire of Wan down messages inside the Gui(oddly the internet is not actually down), I am actually enjoying the new alpha.

Last edited:
Dirty upgrade to 386.1-Alpha2 on RT-AC86U worked a treat - all scripts as per signature tested and happy - BUT broke my AiMesh to RT-AC5300 Node and nothing I could do to restore it [even pushed 386.1-Alpha2 to the AC5300 - reset factory - searched and failed many times]. Stock firmware for the AC5300 still on 384 - so didn't try that.

Reverted to RMerlin 384.19.0 on both routers [main and node] and back to rock steady throughout.

Just tested new alpha from RMerlin and working fine. Sblinking exclamation mark. RT-AC68U don't have 64k nvram.
Aimesh 2 latest function working fine with RC7 beta ( 9.0.0.4.386_40577) firmware on Aimesh nod.

Just tested new alpha from RMerlin and working fine. Still blinking exclamation mark. RT-AC68U don't have 64k nvram.
size: 63465 bytes (2071 left)
alpha2-1-blink.jpg
nvram-low.jpg

Aimesh 2 latest function working fine with Alpha2 RMerlin firmware on Aimesh nod. (RT-AC66U_B1)

@RMerlin

Last edited:
Both my Ax88u & Ac5300 completely went down after the update (LAN and WAN). Had to do a software recovery to get my ax working .

Finally, able to get back to Merlin's Firmware after a long break for testing AiMesh 2.0.

I have RT-AX88U (AiMesh Router) and 2 RT-AC86U (AiMesh Nodes) with Cat 6 Ethernet Connection as backhaul. Flash Alpha2 over 9.0.0.4_386_40577 (RC2-7), Full Factory Reset, Format JFFS partition, reconfigure from scratch. Seems to be running without issues for now :) . Thank you!

Dirty upgrade on 86U from .19. Being bitten by this at the moment:

This is some maintenance done on the nt_center database on first boot of the newer AX88U code. If you let it sit for a while, maintenance will eventually complete, and it will return to normal.

Almost 30 mins now, and the webui still isn't up, but router is functional.

Usual steps:

Code:

Select Menu Option:
[6]  --> Uninstall

[e]  --> Exit Menu

I followed this advice and after flashing I had to reboot manually. Other than that zero issues. Thanks @L&LD !

Only RT-AC86U needs to format /jffs after firmware upgrade.
Not true. Had to format /jffs on AC66U_b1 with the alpha2 firmware.

Dirty upgrade on 86U from .19. Being bitten by this at the moment:

Almost 30 mins now, and the webui still isn't up, but router is functional.

Finally finished after a good 35 mins, and web UI is now up. Be forewarned and wait it out.

Can someone elaborate on this:

"- CHANGED: At boot time, OpenVPN killswitch will only be
applied for clients set to auto-start with WAN."

What was the setting previously then?

384.19 Dirty flashed on secondary router location remotely. upgrade process went without a hitch. Got prompt for login quickly but after signing it I get spinning wheel and nothing, just blank gray background. Will wait it out and report.

Edit: Checked 45mins latter and gui came up as expected. Checking everything else now but so far only gui issue stands out so far.

Edit 2: So far it looks as though FlexQOS, Diversion Tab (under development) UiDivStats, Connmon, ntpmerlin (chrony), Speedtest (JackYaz version) and scMerlin seem to be running without any issues. Only item I noticed that is odd is wireless bridge unit seemed to lose connection to router. Will try to put hands on unit to see why. That wifi bridge connects 3 security IP cameras so kinda needed. ;)

Edit 3: Rebooted wifi bridge and everything came back up. So far still chugging along.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!