What's new

[Thread-1] [ 386.1_Alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So tempting... will keep an eye on this thread. Likely will wait for the Beta.

As always, thanks to @RMerlin and team for their work.

Team? Sure! Sort of but in this day and age people who work together, in spite of their differences and beliefs, sure deserve the moniker! And, the internet is our ball park.

AC86U dirty upgrade from 384.19 to 386.1 alpha 2 went well (self compiled version). No apparent glitches...yet.
AC66U_B1 flashed from Asus firmware to 386.1 alpha 2. /jffs was not mounted on reboot or hard reset. Formatted /jffs successfully. Did not have the NVRAM error I have seen reported elsewhere.
Tried two times to add the AC66U_B1 as an AiMesh node over WIFI and failed. Connected the routers with an Ethernet cable and successfully added the node. Moved the node across the house and it connected over 5 GHZ and has been stable for several hours. Even moved it once and then did a mesh system reboot.
Very pleased with this FW so far.

This may be unique to my setup - but just in case not ... I found after reverting from 386.1-A2 back to 384.19.0 without a factory reset and full settings restore ... I was left with a wobbly RT-AC86U. Noticeable difference in NVRAM consumed size after upgrade to 386 which did not change on dirty downgrade to 384. Factory reset under 384 with full backup restore sorted it and reduced NVRAM used size :D.

I have a little issue with this on my AX88U. When using smart connect for wifi, my 2 XT8 mesh nodes on RC7 will not use 5GHz for backhaul and insist on using 2.4Ghz. When tinkering around I found out, that when I disable Smart Connect I can select a lot less channels and the nodes will eventually switch over to using 5GHz for backhaul. Is this intended or a bug on asus side?

1604562935696.png
1604562884060.png

All seems to be running well for me, including:
  • AiMesh Router and 2x AiMesh Nodes
  • AiProtection is On, QOS is OFF
  • WAN with Asus DDNS and Let's Encrypt
  • VPN Servers are working (OpenVPN, IPSec VPN, Instant Guard) with my iPhone and MacBookPro
  • Guest WiFi
  • All my favourite scripts with AMTM
  • ASUS Router APP for iOS
Except I got thousands of "kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth7" in my log that was not found in Stock RC2-7 9.0.0.4_386_40577

Edit: iOS Instant Guard (1.0.0.0.8) and Asus Router App (1.0.0.5.83) are TestFlight versions
386.1 Alpha2 seems to be running very well for me for 2 days :) Thanks!

Observed that under AiMesh -> Topology - Network (Tab on the right)
All the statistical information for Fronthaul and Backhaul were removed. Think about it I hardly go look at the screen.

I have a little issue with this on my AX88U. When using smart connect for wifi, my 2 XT8 mesh nodes on RC7 will not use 5GHz for backhaul and insist on using 2.4Ghz. When tinkering around I found out, that when I disable Smart Connect I can select a lot less channels and the nodes will eventually switch over to using 5GHz for backhaul. Is this intended or a bug on asus side?

View attachment 27438 View attachment 27437
You should use a non DFS channel. Try 5 GHZ channel 36 or 149 at a fixed channel bandwidth. 2.4 GHZ channel 1, 6 or 11 at 20 MHZ bandwidth. Use SmartConnect.

View attachment 27438 View attachment 27437
Fuechslein,
Just a Suggestion:
(1) After you have done the Full Factory Reset, I suggest you start with default values for all WiFi related NVRAM values
(2) When you start tinkering you might want to do it one at a time. I noticed you have change these 2 "Protected Management Frames=Capable" and WiFi-Agile Multiband=Enable". I recalled ASUSWRT_2020 mentioned that they set default values to "Protected Management Frames=Disable" and WiFi-Agile Multiband=Disable" as they have received a fair bit of complaints from many user's Network / devices.
PS: Disclaimer: I do not have XT8, so our network environment is a little different.

384.19 Dirty flashed on secondary router location remotely. upgrade process went without a hitch. Got prompt for login quickly but after signing it I get spinning wheel and nothing, just blank gray background. Will wait it out and report.

Edit: Checked 45mins latter and gui came up as expected. Checking everything else now but so far only gui issue stands out so far.

Edit 2: So far it looks as though FlexQOS, Diversion Tab (under development) UiDivStats, Connmon, ntpmerlin (chrony), Speedtest (JackYaz version) and scMerlin seem to be running without any issues. Only item I noticed that is odd is wireless bridge unit seemed to lose connection to router. Will try to put hands on unit to see why. That wifi bridge connects 3 security IP cameras so kinda needed. ;)

Edit 3: Rebooted wifi bridge and everything came back up. So far still chugging along.
So after running two days with no issues on secondary location I've decided to jump in the deep end and try it on my main router. So far same issue as other unit with slow gui coming up after initial firmware upgrade. Will report back after 45 mins or so to. Will check addons as well during that time.

Edit: And just like clockwork the gui finally came back up. Everything seems to be chugging along nicely.

Last edited:
You should use a non DFS channel. Try 5 GHZ channel 36 or 149 at a fixed channel bandwidth. 2.4 GHZ channel 1, 6 or 11 at 20 MHZ bandwidth. Use SmartConnect.

I want to use channel 36 and smartconnect but then my two XT8 refuse to use 5GHz backhaul and insist on using 2.4Ghz no matter how long I wait. I am not able to use channel 149, only goes up to 140.

Fuechslein,
Just a Suggestion:
(1) After you have done the Full Factory Reset, I suggest you start with default values for all WiFi related NVRAM values
(2) When you start tinkering you might want to do it one at a time. I noticed you have change these 2 "Protected Management Frames=Capable" and WiFi-Agile Multiband=Enable". I recalled ASUSWRT_2020 mentioned that they set default values to "Protected Management Frames=Disable" and WiFi-Agile Multiband=Disable" as they have received a fair bit of complaints from many user's Network / devices.
PS: Disclaimer: I do not have XT8, so our network environment is a little different.

Thanks, will try

Okay, that did not help. I did notice a few other things things:
  • When using channel 36 according to the AiMesh page the XT8s are using 5GHz with minimal signal but wireless log shows them connected to 2.4Ghz only and
  • Network information on AiMesh Page shows N/A as SSID for backhaul together with "Information unavailable. Please update your routers firmware to the latest version"
  • Network information on AiMesh page shows same MAC for ethernet and 2.4GHz for the AX88U (intended??)
  • Backhaul information on the XT8s always show the ethernet/2.4GHz BSSID of the AX88U not 5Ghz BSSID
  • When using channel 100 then the XT8s seem to connect to both 2.4GHz and 5Ghz according to wireless log (intended??) and Backhaul SSID is shown correctly on AiMesh page with no error.

Last edited:
With the alpha firmware on my ac88, I could not get my ac5300 or ac68 to connect while on 384.19 as mesh nodes. I imagine they all have to be on the Mesh 2.0 firmware but due to the current issues, it is not working yet. Merlin will figure it out :)
so if I move to 386 fw, I won'T be able to use non-Aimesh2.0 nodes. That means my Lyra mini will be out of service...
if they all need to be on Aimesh2.0 fw , how can Merlin figure it out ? :)

Team? Sure! Sort of but in this day and age people who work together, in spite of their differences and beliefs, sure deserve the moniker! And, the internet is our ball park.

AC86U dirty upgrade from 384.19 to 386.1 alpha 2 went well (self compiled version). No apparent glitches...yet.
AC66U_B1 flashed from Asus firmware to 386.1 alpha 2. /jffs was not mounted on reboot or hard reset. Formatted /jffs successfully. Did not have the NVRAM error I have seen reported elsewhere.
Tried two times to add the AC66U_B1 as an AiMesh node over WIFI and failed. Connected the routers with an Ethernet cable and successfully added the node. Moved the node across the house and it connected over 5 GHZ and has been stable for several hours. Even moved it once and then did a mesh system reboot.
Very pleased with this FW so far.

Would you share compilated firmware file for AC86U? I have no linux knowledge at all, sadly.

Would you share compilated firmware file for AC86U? I have no linux knowledge at all, sadly.
Self compiled versions don't include trend micro options such as Adaptive QOS if you use those. You could use the Merlin generated alpha firmware using the onedrive link in the first post though.

Self compiled versions don't include trend micro options such as Adaptive QOS if you use those. You could use the Merlin generated alpha firmware using the onedrive link in the first post though.
Interesting. My QOS is working.

Edit: I compared the files on OneDrive to my compiled version. Same size for the AC68U and AC86U. Don't understand how they could be the same size and one omits two features. Stuffing?

Last edited:
I am not able to use channel 149, only goes up to 140.

Have you checked your region / country settings under WiFi Professional?

Even though your username betrays German-speaking origins, you might not be in Europe, or be aware of this setting. It controls which channels are allowed in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!